Different types of Japanese nepthya

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. First photo is @p@blo ‘s beautiful variety. The one in the second set is the stock koji I got from unique corals. The third set is the one was what I got on the wyswyg.
Fourth set
The peach colored one is a frag I got off eBay. It’s litophyton is all I know. The larger one is another I got off eBay. 99% sure it’s also litophyton. Both were sold as Kenya trees and clearly aren’t.

F1CF42E3-0312-4724-83C3-9E654C6193D3.jpeg 9A1F4D9B-19FF-47EB-9D81-1F83F86FCEC8.jpeg

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps. Meant to clarify I do not really think the eBay ones are Japanese nepthya. I mean they could be but unlikely. They are getting pinker now that they’re in my system buts that’s all I know.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located? Here in Ohio, there doesn't seem to be much supply or demand for unusual soft corals. To me, these are so much more interesting than the pencil eraser sized Acropora people are paying 3 digits for.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located? Here in Ohio, there doesn't seem to be much supply or demand for unusual soft corals. To me, these are so much more interesting than the pencil eraser sized Acropora people are paying 3 digits for.

It's not just you, it's ALL over. No one wants to be bothered. I've literally called companies that had stuff on their website to order to confirm that the species they had in stock was the same, only to be told they didn't have time to go look.

It's a shame really.

I'm in NC, but I've had to collect stuff from everywhere around me. I pretty much have to stalk every site I can find and then some to wait for something to appear. It's very frustrating if not down right sad how so many people view soft corals.

I speculate part of the issue is because the only ones they're used to seeing are like the same toadstool, Xenia, kenya tree, sinulara, that's sold over and over that they think that's all there is. And when something unique does come along, they don't even bother to look at it.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back