Dimmable T5 / LED Hybrid worth the extra cost?

eagerreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Upgrading my mixed reef tank soon and thinking I'm going to need to upgrade my lighting as well. Moving from Lagoon 25 (24"x17"x12") to the Lagoon 50 EXT (30"x24"x16"). Currently running a single Kessil 360x and I'm already noticing some shadowing on my SPS and I'm sure it will be worse in the bigger tank. I'm thinking about going 24" T5 / LED for better spread. Aquatic life has a dimmable fixture for $500 or a standard fixture for about half of that. Do the benefits of having dimmable T5 justify the cost? Or could I achieve a similar result simply from shorting the T5 schedule?

More broadly, what do your T5 / LED schedules look like? Do you run one or the other as a dominant light source or do you take a more balanced approach?

Thanks!

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Aquatic life (non-dimming) T5 hybrid combined with AI Hydras. My Hydras come on at 9 am, ramp up for an hour, then my T5 kicks on from noon to 6. Then my Hydras ramp down at 8 to all blues for a few hours for night time viewing. The way I run them I saw no need for dimmable T5.

Back