Dino’s or Diatoms?

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m just looking to ID these guys. I’m thinking diatoms because the tank is almost at the two month mark. However, my tank already went through a diatoms phase, so I’m not sure if they came back or this time it’s Dino’s? Under the impression that it is Dino’s, I was adding Microbacter Clean && Dr. Tims Waste Away, running my UV and leaving my lights on all blues to no avail. Tomorrow I plan on performing the coffee strainer test, but I’d like a second opinion in the meantime. I’m the future, I’d like to buy a microscope to be more sure of these things. I got the best pics I could

5A6500D6-A526-4769-A20F-D1D44BF1DC54.jpeg
0A8857FB-7582-4700-B1DC-306912E71734.jpeg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the thicker browner parts look a little clumpy and dino-y to me.

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. From what I’ve seen, multiple people develop this at the two month mark and it’s usually diatoms. But here’s some additional photos just in case.

B2C602CB-F29D-40F8-B1E7-EF3C8B3B497C.jpeg 1A5885DA-1D25-4F11-927C-FEBCC6A0ED72.jpeg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second photo you just posted definitely looks closer to dinos than diatoms to me.

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure if they are or not. only way to tell is grab some and do the filter cup test.

your rocks looks like they are covered in GHA. which in return you have nutrients. give us some tank info!

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I went awhile with just blues. I did 1% whites today to start getting the whites back on after just noticed my rocks are all covered in GHA.

im not sure if they are or not. only way to tell is grab some and do the filter cup test.

your rocks looks like they are covered in GHA. which in return you have nutrients. give us some tank info!
Lol Tank is almost 2 months old. 75 gallons w/ 20 gallon sump. In the sump I have: a 13W UV sterilizer running (for a few weeks not, after a big phytoplankton bloom), carbon, phosguard, and purigen. I have 11 fish total, 5 asterea snails, 3 nassirus snails, 1 tiger conch and 2 hermits. I only have an API Kit for now so it won’t give me exact readings on anything. As of right now, all the coral looks happy. GHA isn’t bothering anything besides some zoas on a separate plug from any rockwork.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a sample containing a lot of the "dinos" and put into a bottle and shake vigorously for 1 minute. Pass through a coffee filter and let rest in a cup for a few hours in some sunlight. See if they regroup into "snot" blobs.

While this has use in separating diatoms from dinos, it won't give you the exact species, which is helpful to know for treatment. If you do have dinos, I suggest confirming an ID via a microscope. If you don't have one, I'd be more than happy to ID anything you have if you can first class mail me a sample.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a sample containing a lot of the "dinos" and put into a bottle and shake vigorously for 1 minute. Pass through a coffee filter and let rest in a cup for a few hours in some sunlight. See if they regroup into "snot" blobs.

While this has use in separating diatoms from dinos, it won't give you the exact species, which is helpful to know for treatment. If you do have dinos, I suggest confirming an ID via a microscope. If you don't have one, I'd be more than happy to ID anything you have if you can first class mail me a sample.
Might do that if my UV doesn’t kill mine.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back