URGENT! Fish/corals dying after UV killed dino’s.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
removing carbon did not matter at all.

reason it's incorrect: post some threads where carbon use affected dinos

carbon is totally unneeded in nano reefing due to the ability to simply change water. removing it doesn't hurt nanos, using it is ok but doesn't affect the course of dinos either way.

nobody really has much control over dinos, which is why scanning of any dinos thread is over 90% works in progress and no cures. they're getting there without having to use physical means, but have a long way to go.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no better combo for dinos control in reefing than a rip clean first and UV after, along with less overall light power for 2 mos. nothing can touch it so far.

putting in UV in the zero invasion condition, to handle a few leftover invader cells vs the onslaught of the full invasion is the best move, it's the safest move.

The logic: "There is no better combo for dandelions in your yard than, pulling the garden gnomes and swing set then ripping the entire yard out then starting over and using broadleaf weedkiller to make sure nothing comes back"

Sure that will work but there are plenty of other AS effective options that are far less drastic.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

carbon is totally unneeded in nano reefing due to the ability to simply change water. removing it doesn't hurt nanos.
If there is no " work thread" it didn't happen???

The carbon was to remove toxins from the massive and rapid kill off of dinos.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added activated carbon, turned my skimmer back on and did a 30% water change. Should I just to be safe do another waterchange tomorrow? Is there a specific test I can do to test for toxins? I will test for voltage leakage just to be sure. Now that almost all dino’s are gone, should I still do a small waterchange every day untill the UV is gone?
A water change and a little fresh GAC daily for a couple of days should do the trick for the dino toxin. That's what I'd do anyway.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the zero invasion condition

Brandon - if you posted like a normal person instead of trying to make simple concepts sound scientifically complex and profound, people would actually not only be able to understand what you are saying, but most would give your words more credence.

"Our work thread shows that when the disposition of one's arteria metatarsea is positionally oriented in a forward grouping, then one's vocal broadcasts and gesticulation to homosapial cluster sets is more effective without loss of ocularly cued data"

When you face a group of people while talking to them, your visible hand motions can help with understanding.

Sorry man - but the word soup and made up terms are just over the top and extremely distracting for people trying to get help.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

carbon is totally unneeded in nano reefing due to the ability to simply change water. removing it doesn't hurt nanos, using it is ok but doesn't affect the course of dinos either way.

nobody really has much control over dinos, which is why scanning of any dinos thread is over 90% works in progress and no cures. they're getting there without having to use physical means, but have a long way to go.
There are too many variables for you to make a statement like that.

I had Dino's and within a week they covered everything in the tank. 2 days of UV and they were gone. I ran the UV for a few weeks but turned it off (for many reasons). They have never come back. The UV is still inline in case I need it or want to experiment.

Your narrow lens "if it is not documented in a thread, then it does not exist" is puzzling.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Already did a 30% and fish are doing better.

My dummy thought “dinos hate dirty water, lets remove all filtration”…. Lesson learned for sure.
Dino consumes po4 and no3 and multiply and in turn many dose no3 and po4 to bring numbers up not realizing they are feeding these flagellates even more.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have Salifert kits and Hanna Phosphorus ULR. So tomorrow a smaller waterchange to be sure, and then continu the normal schedule is what you recommend?

Yea now that most of the dino’s are gone. I won’t mind taking it a little bit slower just to be sure. As this is my second time dealing with dino’s, I’m thinking about ordering a smaller 5W UV. I can get one in the Netherlands it will just take a month or so to get here from the states.
IMHO - an oversized UV does not hurt an established tank. IMHO - Sorry - I would leave it the way it is

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your narrow lens "if it is not documented in a thread, then it does not exist" is puzzling.
'wrong' might be a better quote/answer

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO - an oversized UV does not hurt an established tank. IMHO - Sorry - I would leave it the way it is
I think there is a point at which the power and passthrough rate become detrimental by over sterilizing the water column. I don't know where that point of good vs overdone is. This is a debate for another thread though.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think there is a point at which the power and passthrough rate become detrimental by over sterilizing the water column. I don't know where that point of good vs overdone is. This is a debate for another thread though.
Agreed - in a new tank - that intra-water 'microbiome' is likely not as important - BUT - it does make an interesting topic.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back