Dino ID + Treatment

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mas0n
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
If you have time for reading, I'd like to hear what you and others think about this and what they describe about N and P's role:

(Nature) https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-023-41339-3
Quick and dirty by no expert:

Well, they basically show what the title of that paper says: P deficiency triggers sexual reproduction in dinos. Interestingly, it happens only when there is no N deficiency. They did not observe the same response when both N and P were bottomed out. That's actually interesting. At least to me.

Additionally, they claim: "Nitrate uptake was significantly impaired in the P-deficient culture [...] Phosphate uptake was significantly reduced in the N-deprived culture [...]". What a surprise ;-)

BTW, I can't believe Sci. Reports (not Nature!) allowed them to use the word "significantly" in a context other than statistical significance. Funny that they did not do even simple stats, as Figs. 1-3 look like they were done in R with ggplot2.

The take-home message is: when there is plenty of N and P, the dino population grows rapidly through vegetative reproduction. When P is deficient but N remains available, they switch to sexual reproduction and population growth stalls.

Anyway, the main limitation is that the analysis was done on Prorocentrum cordatum only. So, the conclusions are valid only for this species and cannot be generalized to other dinoflagellates.
 
My comments are to the point and might sound harsh if you're looking at other solutions or conflict with your views . If you search on R2R regarding dinos, I'm not saying anything new and I'm only sharing my perspective and comments.

Apologies if I come off offensive or confrontational. Just offering a solution to resolve your issues ASAP given I've experienced it many times and resolved it the same way.
I do appreciate you sharing your expirience. If anybody should apologise here for straight to point language it would be me. Seems I have a lot to say, but not much practical experience.

I dose P and N to keep them above zero. But this is counter-intuitive to me: Dinos need both to proliferate. So basically I am feeding the beast. How dinos outbreak can be triggered by lack of nutrients? What would they use?
 
My comments are to the point and might sound harsh if you're looking at other solutions or conflict with your views . If you search on R2R regarding dinos, I'm not saying anything new and I'm only sharing my perspective and comments.

Apologies if I come off offensive or confrontational. Just offering a solution to resolve your issues ASAP given I've experienced it many times and resolved it the same way.
I do appreciate you sharing your expirience. If anybody should apologise here for straight to point language it would be me. Seems I have a lot to say, but not much practical experience.

I dose P and N to keep them above zero. But this is counter-intuitive to me: Dinos need both to proliferate. So basically I am feeding the beast. How dinos outbreak can be triggered by lack of nutrients? What would they use?
You have a nice build and it is frustrating to see it with dinos. Maintain NO3 at 2.5 and phosphate around the 0.10 - 0.20. This step is critical and keeping a log will help you through the next occurrence regarding how much PO4 to dose and time it takes to overcome it. With every other day testing and dosing accordingly, dinos should be gone after 1-2 weeks. I would even go stir up the sand bed ensuring everything is exposed to PO4.

I'm almost done with dinos in my tank and can see the snots releasing itself into the orderflow and the white rocks now have dark green algae growing on them instead of snots.

Limiting the photoperiod would also help with growth given dinos are photosynthetic.
 
The tank has been up for 4 months (120g 4x2x2), but I started with ocean live rock and dry rock that I seeded for about a year in a brute.

Fish:
Flame Hawk
Yellow Tang
Tomini Tang
One Spot Fox Face
PJ Cardinal
Banded Sleeper Goby (for now... he is way too messy)

Feed 1/2 sheet of nori daily + assortment of pellets.

As for corals, I just have a few hammers currently. They are doing great. I will hold off on adding more until this issue has been resolved.
Ah, you're still in the early microbiome stage. Hammers won't be effected too much unless the dinos are toxic and the outbreak is bad. I definitely recommend the hydrogen peroxide treatment. Nothing in the tank would take it hard and it's a pretty gentile treatment. It will take about a month to clear up.

I've seen dry rock both absorb and leech a lot of nutrients. It definitely take a while to stabilize. I'd recommend stopping all other dosing other than your big 3 and stop water changes. From my experience, dinos take over from instability more than anything else.

Also as soon as the dinos die off, you will probably get hair algae. The tangs and foxface should help keep it at bay. The best combat to the algaes is a good layer of coraline algae.
Thanks for the tips! Luckily the rocks are unaffected and currently covered in coraline. This is only on my sand.
Rocks already at equilibrium with PO4 hence why rocks are not affected. Take out the sand and treat it with PO4 if you want to be aggressive or continue to dose nutrients.

After dinos, I would suggest a refugium with a strong LED to manage nutrients in a balanced manner. Vodka is better at reducing NO3 vs PO4 and you'll prolly need lanthanum or gfo to lower PO4 if you're feeding heavy.
 
I do not believe the po4 absorbed in sand causes dino. That is fixed in some part, insolubable. One part is in equilibrium but always go back and forth and is not exclusively addressed to dino.
This is just a theory and nothing I ever bothered to verify, but: we are talking about benthic dinoflagellates, which sit on the substrate or on rocks and form mats. It wouldn't surprise me if these mats had an impact on the water chemistry below them, making the bound phosphate available to dinos through local pH changes or something similar. Cyanobacteria are already known to make use of this phenomenon (Wood et al. 2015), so it's possible dinos have similar abilities.

How dinos outbreak can be triggered by lack of nutrients? What would they use?
I'm not too sure about the exact trigger, but we have some indicators of what they use:

Ostreopsis cf. ovata (a potential candidate for the dinos we actually find in our tanks) grows just as well on a wide range of dissolved organic phosphorus compounds as on inorganic phosphate (Ellwood et al. 2020). Its biofilms show phosphatase activity, meaning enzymes that cut phosphate off organic molecules. In other words: They have access to phosphate we can't measure at home and may also have high-affinity uptake mechanisms that allow them to drain phosphate from the water at lower levels than many other organisms.

It's not completely abnormal for natural coral reefs to have something like 0.005 ppm POâ‚„ without everything starving to death, so the uptake limit of these organisms is definitely lower than our testing methods allow us to measure. They might not reach optimal reproduction rates at this point anymore, but it won't cause mass starvation on its own either.

There are also heterotrophic feeding capabilities in dinoflagellates, but for the few genera that frequently cause trouble in reef tanks, the reports seem quite limited:
Prorocentrum (planktonic species)Not bloom-forming in our tanks. Solid proof of phagotrophy.
Prorocentrum (benthic species)"Stained [food] vacuoles were not registered in the 330 Prorocentrum spp. cells observed."
Coolia"only [...] 2.2% of 134 [...] cells presented evidence of phagotrophy [...]"
Ostreopsis"only 0.4% of 1195 [...] cells presented evidence of phagotrophy [...]", but Lee & Park, 2018 found up to 29.5%.
Amphidinium (colorless species)Not bloom-forming in our tanks. Needs food, phagotrophy essential.
Amphidinium (pigmented species)Never really measured. A. carterae has been seen ingesting a small diatom species, but the ingestion rate wasn't measured.

I have just ordered suitable stains to check for myself whether I can detect phagotrophic feeding in my experiments by detecting food vacuoles in the cells I have available... can't hurt to double check if this stuff applies to reef tanks.

References:
  • Almada et al. 2017 - "Investigation of phagotrophy in natural assemblages of the benthic dinoflagellates Ostreopsis, Prorocentrum and Coolia."
  • Mitra et al. 2023 - "The Mixoplankton Database (MDB)"
  • Ellwood et al. 2020 - "Growth and phosphatase activities of Ostreopsis cf. ovata biofilms supplied with diverse dissolved organic phosphorus (DOP) compounds"
  • Lee & Park, 2018 - "Genetic Analyses of the rbcL and psaA Genes From Single Cells Demonstrate a Rhodophyte Origin of the Prey in the Toxic Benthic Dinoflagellate Ostreopsis"
  • Wood et al. 2015 - "Entrapped Sediments as a Source of Phosphorus in Epilithic Cyanobacterial Proliferations in Low Nutrient Rivers"
 
Alrighty!

Noticing a few things today, sand and glass are still super ugly. BUT, it seems like my sleeper goby has been more interested in the sand and filtering it. He seemed to slow down with that once the dinos appeared in full force. My yellow tang is also picking a lot more. I can see some "hair algae" like stuff forming on the sand and walls, which is great.
IMG_9150.JPEG

You can see all the little places where he takes a bite towards the front, and towards the midground of the photo the sand is basically half dino half white.


As for Nutrients:
30.2 No3 🤔
.05 Po4 🤨

Dosed an additional 20ml Neophos.

Two things stand out to me.

First, after dosing 20ml Neophos I expected a greater increase. So its either expired and not effective or my consumption is just that high.

Secondly, my no3 tested at 18.4 yesterday... this is likely a testing outlier and my nitrates were closer to the mid 20s. I am noticing some inconsistency across my nitrate testing... But the curves kind of match my po4.
1790820983274.png


1790821097532.png
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new