It seems worth clarifying that during a tank-wrecking-toxic-dinno-bloom (which is not happening in this thread) the idea is to get the tank back to balance....eradicating dino's isn't really the mission. (Returning them to peaceful non-toxic epiphytic behavior is the mission.)
So whether cell counts ever go up during nutient enhancement, I'm not sure....but you can definitely see them drop form initial levels where they dominate microscope slides to the point of monopoly down to much lower levels, often undetectable. (Nobody scans the water column, so no data there.....miraculous I was able to get so many folks to buy and use microscopes!!)
The idea is for them to return to an epiphytic lifestyle – clinging to algae, etc.
Here, we seem to be dealing with other types of dino blooms that aren't toxic (eg. non-toxic, not as toxic, whatever), and seem to be more of a visual nuisance than they are a real problem.
The goal in this case isn't as clear, but seems like it might purely be about reducing cell counts so the dino's are no longer visually offensive.
If so, then whether they are veg or sex is much less relevant....we're trying to "make them happy epiphytes again" not make them disappear, which is a much tougher row to hoe. Better to encourage other things to grow with the dino's and just be happy the dino's aren't blooming anymore.
Shifting subjects slightly..... Did anyone else have Nature recommend the following article after the one I linked? I just got it recommended when I was reviewing the veg/sex link again. This article is also pretty interesting. They test dino's (not our genus) as well as diatoms through a regime of nutrient depletion with the goal of predicting the end of a phyto bloom metabolically...and project that this may be useful across phytoplankton types. (They're working on a patent for testing this.) We aren't going to be testing like this, but some details of the experiment still seem like they might be useful. I also think this one probably speaks more directly to the trend
@JonasRoman is trying to detail.
"Chronological age-related metaboiome responses in the dinoflagellate Karenia mikimotoi, can predict future bloom demise"
(nature)
https://doi.org/10.1038/s42003-023-04646-z