Dino ID

eric.tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon Reef2reef friends. Pretty sure I have a case of Dino’s, but wanted to confirm. Under the microscope I see what appears to be quite a few Dino’s zipping about mixed with a few diatoms. Just wanted to poll the audience as it’s my first time using a microscope to ID them, sorry for the cellphone pic/video. Thanks in advance!

6E5E4024-7DA3-49FE-B874-4417755F0360.jpeg

Last edited:

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Idoc

Can you identify, and confirm?

Thank you
I'm going to go with Prorocentrum dinos. They move like a small cell amphidinium dino, but I don't see the typical beak on the front. They have that ever so slight flattening like a prorocentrum. Let's see if @taricha agrees!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon Reef2reef friends. Pretty sure I have a case of Dino’s, but wanted to confirm. Under the microscope I see what appears to be quite a few Dino’s zipping about mixed with a few diatoms.
Good pics/vids.
Based on the scale (judging from diatom) the only one of our problem dinos that could be this smal is Small-Cell Amphidinium and the opening in the front is not the sideways curved beak/nose that they have.
This is not a dino at all, IMO. It's one of those weird "others" - not a dino, diatom, or cyano.
likely something like this prymnesium or a cryptomonad or another similar flagellate.
Congrats! no dino.

OP
OP
eric.tech

eric.tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! Agains as my first attempt using a microscope for this purpose, still a bit fuzzy on what I’m looking at. Being that there were bubbles in the mats i sucked out last, maybe have some cyano issues going on? It was brown in color and formed a mat, very similar to cyano. No pics at this time as I symphonies most of it out

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diatoms are strong O2 producers too, and your sample had plenty of them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back