Dino infestation

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all

I just came back home from a 4 day trip, only to find one of my tanks completely riddled with Dino’s. I am uncertain of what kind. I know that identification is a big must, but right now I’m more concerned of immediate action I can take. This tank has never had a problem, therefore, it houses all of my high end corals. This is my first time experiencing Dinos out of all 5 tanks I have up and running.

12/11: My nitrates hit 0.0ppm, and my phosphates were at 0.11ppm.
12/13: Started dosing NeoNitro-5x every other day in efforts to prevent an outbreak of any sorts (brother did it while I was gone). I have an evo 13.5, so my dose was 0.5ml.

Just got back on 12/18, my levels are reading Nitrate 1.5ppm and Phosphate 0.03ppm.

I am weery of doing a blackout because I fear my coral will die from no light and they are already stressed as could be. I have considered moving my coral to an existing tank I have but I don’t want it to follow along with. Thoughts of moving them?

My CURRENT plan is to run lights low, dose H2O2 at night, change filters everyday, continue to dose nitrates (just bought neophos to start dosing), and manually remove Dino’s little by little. Thoughts?

ANY advice will help.

Thanks

caddnima

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a good plan. I am not sure about peroxide tho, but experts here can chime better

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just get your parameters in order and do weekly siphoning sand water changes. Add some pods and dose some PNS probio which is a natural heterotrophic bacteria that eliminates organic waste. Probably take 2 months to fully eliminate.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, each type can be treated differently. I say, spend a few dollars on a microscope and upload the picture to "macks dinoflagellates " facebook group. There is no better resource out there for resolution. I struggled for over 5 months and then within 3-4 weeks of their plan i was good.

Before i did the following
Uv
Dose phos and trate
Light reduction
Phyto regularly
Mb7
Pods regularly

Didn't do a thing.

In the end, silicates solved my type

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what changed with your tank in those few day? Was anyone tending to the tank while you wren gone?

Separate question, are you getting good flow in the tank?

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what changed with your tank in those few day? Was anyone tending to the tank while you wren gone?

Separate question, are you getting good flow in the tank?
Plenty flow in the tank. I noticed before I left that the nitrates dropped to zero. I didn’t change anything apart from my regular maintenance or routine with the tank.

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, each type can be treated differently. I say, spend a few dollars on a microscope and upload the picture to "macks dinoflagellates " facebook group. There is no better resource out there for resolution. I struggled for over 5 months and then within 3-4 weeks of their plan i was good.

Before i did the following
Uv
Dose phos and trate
Light reduction
Phyto regularly
Mb7
Pods regularly

Didn't do a thing.

In the end, silicates solved my type
Roger that

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back