OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
I too was in your shoes. I have loads of organisms in my tank from sponges to coralline to foraminiferans. I had high PO4 and NO3 but dinos were there and a nuisance. When people say get your nutrients up, it’s in hopes that something else takes over. It’s not guaranteed. My NO3 has always hovered just under 50. I agree with @ScottB about aminos. They seem to be the cue for dinos to jump in. Also, when I increased my lighting, they came back. I’ve noticed that lowering my lighting was extremely helpful.
I cant wait for my macros to kick in... anyone noticed anything about having an urchin munching in an aquarium?
I know they can eat quite a lot of the dinos competitors....

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
I cant wait for my macros to kick in... anyone noticed anything about having an urchin munching in an aquarium?
I know they can eat quite a lot of the dinos competitors....
Oddly I had a tuxedo die during a dino outbreak so I can’t say. However I can deem this plausible in the ever-evolving mystery of dino control.

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember back in yhe days I had a cyano outbreak and my Hector goby was eating them. One day the Hector died and the outbreak was gone... I never figured that out

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about letting algaes grow on the window. I guess that could help!?

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strong uv is really the key with ostreopsis. Helps a lot when you eliminate the ostreopsis and other dino species jump in to take their place too. I hope this doesn't explode but start researching your uv unit now so if it does you are ready
The nutrients at po4 .1 and no3 1.5 (my tank likes no3 a bit higher at around 2.5-5ppm), are really the key.
I dont really sign on to the nutrients promoting competition idea. I believe that dinos simply don't thrive at slightly elevated nutrients.

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strong uv is really the key with ostreopsis. Helps a lot when you eliminate the ostreopsis and other dino species jump in to take their place too. I hope this doesn't explode but start researching your uv unit now so if it does you are ready
The nutrients at po4 .1 and no3 1.5 (my tank likes no3 a bit higher at around 2.5-5ppm), are really the key.
I dont really sign on to the nutrients promoting competition idea. I believe that dinos simply don't thrive at slightly elevated nutrients.
Honestly I dont even remember where my tests are at... I know I need them to properly reconfigure my doser...

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I fixed the problem lol ,
I removed the fishline and the magnet , I cleaned it and letting it dry ...
Hopes this works ;Facepalm

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean if they cycle from day to night?
No, I meant under the microscope. Like this (not my video):

But you are saying they stay put at night? Ostreopsis goes into the water column at night. Do you have a lot of ambient light in the room? Strange they would stay put.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But you are saying they stay put at night? Ostreopsis goes into the water column at night. Do you have a lot of ambient light in the room? Strange they would stay put.

I've seen them stay put when the flow is high enough. Especially if they attach to corals. Once they get a foothold on a coral they hold on for dear life.

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nope its really dark.
And they didnt move at all.
Tghey were in some kind of tube like you can see on the picture.
But they really look like the ones in your video.

TheGreatBarrioReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got rid of dinos in less than a week with a good uv sterilizer. A clean up crew wont really work for them since anybody that eats the dino will probably die. If you have coral, raising no3 and po4 will have negative effects. Set up your uv then start blasting them off the rocks/corals/sand and you’ll notice a big difference the next day

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, sitting this one out worked but I relaxed on my vodka dosing. peace

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back