Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dr. Jim, the DIY organic carbon additive is made of:

225 ml of vodka (40%)
25 ml of white vinegar
1 tea spoon of brown sugar

Dose is 0,5 ml/100 liters of aquarium water per day

Hope it helps
Really appreciate you sharing this recipe, I’m going to start using it tonight. If i’ve done my math correctly on my 350G tank I would be dosing 6.67 per night - correct? Also, do I only dose this after the lights are out? Additinally, once I get the dinos under control what would be a good maintenance level to dose? Finally, I reading mix comments on if I should continue dosing phosphates & nitrates? Curently I need to dose both of these daily to maintain decent levels.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
350g=1325L

0,5ml / 100l = 6,62ml

So, yes...calculation is ok....

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Really appreciate you sharing this recipe, I’m going to start using it tonight. If i’ve done my math correctly on my 350G tank I would be dosing 6.67 per night - correct? Also, do I only dose this after the lights are out? Additinally, once I get the dinos under control what would be a good maintenance level to dose? Finally, I reading mix comments on if I should continue dosing phosphates & nitrates? Curently I need to dose both of these daily to maintain decent levels.
Yes, after lights out. Can't really answer the rest.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alcohol vinegar? That wouldn’t be vinegar. To my knowledge there’s only two types of brown sugar. One that is unrefined and it keeps they’re natural molasses and one that is white sugar mixed with molasses. The end result should be the same as both contain molasses

It appears molasses has copper in it? Its best to stay away from brown sugar with molasses if that is the case.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It appears molasses has copper in it? Its best to stay away from brown sugar with molasses if that is the case.
Well that made me do a quick search, it seems even white sugar seems to contain copper, iron, magnesium and other minerals, says they are insoluble. Even raw brown sugar, organic sugar, and others I searched say they contain copper.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that made me do a quick search, it seems even white sugar seems to contain copper, iron, magnesium and other minerals, says they are insoluble. Even raw brown sugar, organic sugar, and others I searched say they contain copper.
-
Virtually all natural materials are going to contain nearly all elements at some level. It all depends on how much is there and what you care about.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, bit of a update....

First week is passed, tonight i double the dosage.....

I expect nothing from first week, so, i really get nothing ;)

Subjective feeling is that dinos dont spread anymore, and they are slightly lighter color, light brown...

I post update after week two....

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week and a half passed, i must say i'm a believer....

It could be due to vsv dosing, it could be from phyto, or maybe credits goes to some divine creature, but.....

It is a lot better after 10 days....

Little before/after pics....

Today
IMG_20221216_102656.jpg

Before i start dosing....
IMG_20221124_171847.jpg

OP
OP
Beuchat

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, can you tell me this method of combating dino, will it help to win ostreopsis?
Hi Ivan, we did not indentify the dinos species in the experiment, as it was based on personal feedback and photos, but I belive it will

Thunder_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this treatment on November 26 and I still have them. I’ve dosed per the instructions, tried blacking out the tank twice. They have diminished a couple times and then come back. Nitrates have always been around 10 using a salifert test and phos has never been below .03 and is usually around.05 using Hanah ulr. I’ve been dozing Microbacter7 every couple days as well as phyto. Tonight they look pretty bad, I’m very frustrated and considering beginning to slowly remove the sand. These are LCA btw. Any ideas or suggestions???

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this treatment on November 26 and I still have them. I’ve dosed per the instructions, tried blacking out the tank twice. They have diminished a couple times and then come back. Nitrates have always been around 10 using a salifert test and phos has never been below .03 and is usually around.05 using Hanah ulr. I’ve been dozing Microbacter7 every couple days as well as phyto. Tonight they look pretty bad, I’m very frustrated and considering beginning to slowly remove the sand. These are LCA btw. Any ideas or suggestions???

Driving competitors is sometimes successful. Diatoms, for example, by dosing silicate.

OP
OP
Beuchat

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Thunder, just to double check. Are you dosing at night? What is the actual dose? What organic carbon source?

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started week 3, 7.5ml dose....

So far so good, its not gone yet, but, light in color, and with patches of clean sand, so i figure that something is happening.....

Thunder_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Thunder, just to double check. Are you dosing at night? What is the actual dose? What organic carbon source?
Hello, I am dosing at night, I’m using the vodka,vinegar, sugar recipe posted here, and I’m currently dosing 6 ml every night. My tank is 100 gallons. My photo period is currently 6 hours.

OP
OP
Beuchat

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am dosing at night, I’m using the vodka,vinegar, sugar recipe posted here, and I’m currently dosing 6 ml every night. My tank is 100 gallons. My photo period is currently 6 hours.
That is all the protocol we were going through. Is it 6 ml for total 100 gallons per day? If that is the case, you are dosing quite low. A “good” amount is 3 ml/ 100 liters per day, that is in your case around total 12 ml per day. You can go for 4 ml/ 100 liters if needed

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a sec......

There was receipt - 0.5ml /100l...

For 500l i started with 2.5ml firat week, 5ml second week and now, third week 7.5ml.....

And today - 3ml per 100l.....

Can you please clarify, probably i figured something wrong....

OP
OP
Beuchat

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, no, then you are right. My bad. Probably you can try with 4 ml/100 l

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached are images of what I am dealing with, although I still cant seem to get a firm ID on what this is so I am scared to take any incorrect action.

I have cut my white lights to 0% and blues at 50%. As of today my nitrates are at 5ppm and my Phos at .02ppm. Should I risk carbon dosing as my parameters already seem low and I dont want to bottom out?

About a week ago I gave my corals reefroids which popped my phos to .06 and caused my corals to slime, so I did a water change which dropped my nitrates to 0, Phos stayed at .03. I noticed within 12 hours my nitrates were low and cut my skimmer off which brought me back up to detectable levels of around 7ppm after 24 hours.

It may be worth noting that I have not seen any growth of this particular algae on my rocks and it seems limited to the sand for now...
IMG_3994.jpg
IMG_4031.jpg

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, no, then you are right. My bad. Probably you can try with 4 ml/100 l
Totally lost i am ;)

So is it 0.5ml per 100l, then increase weakly

Or is it 4ml per 100l,.increase how much weakly?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back