Beuchat

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally lost i am ;)

So is it 0.5ml per 100l, then increase weakly

Or is it 4ml per 100l,.increase how much weakly?
0.5 ml per 100 l first week, then increasing +1 ml/100 liters/day per week, until 3 or 4 ml/100 liters maximum

OP
OP
Beuchat

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally lost i am ;)

So is it 0.5ml per 100l, then increase weakly

Or is it 4ml per 100l,.increase how much weakly?
0.5 ml per 100 l first week, then increasing +1 ml/100 liters/day per week, until 3 or 4 ml/100 liters maximum

OP
OP
Beuchat

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached are images of what I am dealing with, although I still cant seem to get a firm ID on what this is so I am scared to take any incorrect action.

I have cut my white lights to 0% and blues at 50%. As of today my nitrates are at 5ppm and my Phos at .02ppm. Should I risk carbon dosing as my parameters already seem low and I dont want to bottom out?

About a week ago I gave my corals reefroids which popped my phos to .06 and caused my corals to slime, so I did a water change which dropped my nitrates to 0, Phos stayed at .03. I noticed within 12 hours my nitrates were low and cut my skimmer off which brought me back up to detectable levels of around 7ppm after 24 hours.

It may be worth noting that I have not seen any growth of this particular algae on my rocks and it seems limited to the sand for now...
IMG_3994.jpg
IMG_4031.jpg
Attached are images of what I am dealing with, although I still cant seem to get a firm ID on what this is so I am scared to take any incorrect action.

I have cut my white lights to 0% and blues at 50%. As of today my nitrates are at 5ppm and my Phos at .02ppm. Should I risk carbon dosing as my parameters already seem low and I dont want to bottom out?

About a week ago I gave my corals reefroids which popped my phos to .06 and caused my corals to slime, so I did a water change which dropped my nitrates to 0, Phos stayed at .03. I noticed within 12 hours my nitrates were low and cut my skimmer off which brought me back up to detectable levels of around 7ppm after 24 hours.

It may be worth noting that I have not seen any growth of this particular algae on my rocks and it seems limited to the sand for now...
IMG_3994.jpg
IMG_4031.jpg
I believe they are dinos. They migrate from your rock to your sand. When dosing organic carbon it is not a big issue if your nutrients decrease to near cero. There is some risk of cyano, but dinos tend to disappear

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, my bad....

I guess i go slower route....

0.5x5 = 2.5ml first week
1x5 = 5ml second week
1.5x5=7.5ml third week

So, i do 0.5 increase weekly, if i understood correctly, i can dose 12.5ml this week (2.5x5)? Instead 7.5ml (1.5x5).

OP
OP
Beuchat

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, my bad....

I guess i go slower route....

0.5x5 = 2.5ml first week
1x5 = 5ml second week
1.5x5=7.5ml third week

So, i do 0.5 increase weekly, if i understood correctly, i can dose 12.5ml this week (2.5x5)? Instead 7.5ml (1.5x5).
Yes, that is correct

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totaly forgot to aks two very important queestions.....

Water changes during dosing? Yes or no? I do rare wc, but, i was planning tomorrow to change 5-10%, will it help, hurt, or is it the same?

Uv filtration during dosing. Turn uv lamp off, or it doesnt matter?

Thank you!

OP
OP
Beuchat

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Koh23, wc will not benefit during dinos. As we are trying to outcompete dinos with bacteria, UV sterilizer is better switched of

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is all the protocol we were going through. Is it 6 ml for total 100 gallons per day? If that is the case, you are dosing quite low. A “good” amount is 3 ml/ 100 liters per day, that is in your case around total 12 ml per day. You can go for 4 ml/ 100 liters if needed
This is really helpful and probably explains why I am not seeing any results in my 350G tank. I thought I read in an earlier post that the Dosing formula (using carbon source: Vodka, white Vinegar and Brown Sugar) was .5ml/100 liters. I always thought that was low and will up my dosing to 36 ml per day. Does that sound about right for a 350 gallon system?

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is a per week dosing and not a per day dose? I was dosing approximate 6ml per day in my 350G tank and have seen very little improvement. So if I now change that to once a week won‘t my dinos only get worse, i.e, Really need some advice from the community here on how many ML’s I should be dosing daily in my 350G DT. Thanks!

OP
OP
Beuchat

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just to clarify on the dosing (at night):

Firts week: 0,5 ml per day per 100 liters of net aquarium water
Second week: 1 ml per day per 100 liters of net aquarium water
Third week: 2 ml per day per 100 liters of net aquarium water
Fourth week: 3 ml per day per 100 liters of net aquarium water
Fourth week: 4 ml per day per 100 liters of net aquarium water

We have not tested more than 4 ml

Hope it helps

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after 4 week, should we continue dosing 4ml/100l, or call it done and stop dosing?

Acctualy, for how long this treatment can last?

OP
OP
Beuchat

Beuchat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after 4 week, should we continue dosing 4ml/100l, or call it done and stop dosing?

Acctualy, for how long this treatment can last?
I dinos are gone you can reduce the daily dose progressively . It normaly takes 3 weeks for dinos to be recessed

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe all of you I have listed below expressed an early interest in the process described in this thread.
Have any of you proceeded to implement the process, and, if so, will you please comment whether you found it to be successful?

Thanks in advance for sharing.

@Marco333
@David Gaskins
@JCTReefer
@Marshall53
@rckfsh44
@jrmailo
@sixty_reefer
@chris_pull
@Miami Reef
@drewbeck
@GuppyHJD
@Mike konesky
@Jase4224
I have been trying the method now for two weeks with nominal success. My water volume is approximately 300 gallons and I have a pretty bad case of Dino’s, so I wasn’t expecting over night success. I didn’t realize until reading a recent post that I was suppose to be upping the dosing each week from .5ml to 1.0ml to 2.0ml to 3ml to 4.0ml. So I suspect the reason why I’m not having great (only nominal) success is I have been under dosing. I’m going to increase it to the three week dosing regiment starting tonight and will report. When I say “nominal success”. I mean that the Dino’s are slightly less on my rock structure but still heavy in the sand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back