Dinoflagellates Natural Selection to Survive UV.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do dinoflagellates in reef tanks let go of their substrate every night? Giving up their territory is risky business, so they must have a good reason.

Also, do 100% of dinos (Osteoporosis, Coolia etc) leave their substrate every night, or do some remain? The reason I ask is because if a small amount reproduce and survive without needing to free swim every night, then could potentially make a strain of dinos that never leave the substrate, making UV not work in the future?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do dinoflagellates in reef tanks let go of their substrate every night? Giving up their territory is risky business, so they must have a good reason.

Also, do 100% of dinos (Osteoporosis, Coolia etc) leave their substrate every night, or do some remain? The reason I ask is because if a small amount reproduce and survive without needing to free swim every night, then could potentially make a strain of dinos that never leave the substrate, making UV not work in the future?
Amphidium Dino’s live in the sand and don’t go into the water column at night but I’ve heard they are the least toxic Atleast lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back