Help me spec my new tank!

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m in the process of approving the drawings for my tank now for my basement in wall build (yay!)

It’s going to be 60” x 30” x 20” cross-braced tank with an external coast to coast overflow from Glass Cages. Armored seams, hidden water/sand lines, Starfire front panel, dual 1” returns and 3 1.5” drains.

I generally picked every option possible since this has been a year and a half in the making and I’ve spent a significant amount of money and time for this tank and remodeling the basement for it. One of those options was a Starboard bottom.

Glass cages tells me that they float their starboard in the bottom of the tank so that water can circulate around it. He said there is a potential for snails and the like to get underneath of it if it is not sufficiently held down by rocks and sand and suggested I consider not doing it since I’m planning a substrate anyway.

I had selected Starboard it so I had the option to go bare bottom if the amount of flow I want won’t permit a substrate, but now I’m second guessing whether I want the starboard or not. The tank is definitely going to have a rock scape and likely calcium reactor media for the substrate, but I like the idea of having it and not using it than regretting being cheap and not buying it in the first place since the bracing won’t really make it easy to install after the fact.

Those of you with HDPE tank bottoms: any regrets on your decision to get it? Any maintenance annoyances I’m not considering? I appreciate your feedback!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back