Help me choose my 48" tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cicatrix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Help!


  • Total voters
    21

Cicatrix

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 5, 2025
Messages
14
Reaction score
10
Location
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally getting around to choosing my tank. I have an alcove that is 58" wide by 40" deep. I will not be able to (easily) access the rear of the tank so I am considering a tank with an internal overflow. No options for access through the wall on the other side. I would prefer a longer tank and larger cabinet where I can hide everything (ATO, electrical, etc) in the cabinet vs a smaller tank with a side cabinet.

I have done extensive reading on all of the major manufacturers and have gone through dozens of threads on this site.

I think I have narrowed it down to the Innovative Marine INT 100, Waterbox Infinia 150.4 and Cade 1200. The IM tank (with a smaller than stock sump) would allow me to place everything within the cabinet. I am not crazy about the full-length overflow as it intrudes into the aquascape area quite a bit, but I love the look of the stand and the tanks get great reviews. The Waterbox sump is smaller and the stand leaves room for everything I would need. The Cade is sleek all around and the cabinet is designed with the idea of hiding all the electrical.

I'm putting everything into this one tank and I want to do it the right way, so I'm not concerned about a few dollars difference in cost or shipping time. I am just thrilled that technology has advanced so much since my last tank (65g, drilled overflow with closed loop pump, and T5 and MH) that I now have these difficult decisions.
 
Have you looked at glasscages or waterbox’s custom option? Youdon’t have to be limited to a 4ft. And 100 gallons. You could have a custom built tank that fits your space exactly and you can design it to be deeper (front to back) and taller than the options you listed to give you more options for livestock over a 4 ft /100 gallon tank.

I went custom, but my biggest regret was not going deeper than 24. 30+ would have allowed me to put all of my wavemaker/flow pumps on the back glass and not blow all of the sand off the front as much as I do now. Plus it would have added to over all volume and allowed for space between rock structure and glass to do maintenance.

57x31x26 on glass cages build site ends up being a 200 gallon display. By the time you add a sump, you are at ~250 gallons total volume. Probably a lot more than you thought would fit your space. You can tweak your sump area to fit whatever you need to go in the space.

Just something to think about if this is considered your dream tank build, but you are limiting yourself due to size constraints of the space.
 
The IM INT 150 is what I would pick.
I have the ext 170, 112, and 50.
The 36" depth will still give you a 30" depth with the internal.
This is my 170, 112, and 50 so you can see the difference.
20260421_150804.jpg
 
The IM INT 150 is what I would pick.
I have the ext 170, 112, and 50.
The 36" depth will still give you a 30" depth with the internal.
This is my 170, 112, and 50 so you can see the difference.
20260421_150804.jpg

I do like the deeper look. I have considered the IM INT 112 with the thought of being able to have some side angle viewing. I'm a big fan of cube tanks and the lagoon cube just looks cool.

The 112 with the stock 27 sump would leave plenty of room for large ATO and electrical.
 
Eshopps Mariner has quite a bit of room in the stand. Internal plumbing, tank is 48x22x22" has 15mm glass with bottom bracing. They are usually ready to ship with no long wait if that's a concern. I just filled a peninsula version the MP100.


The M100 layout
Screenshot_20260628-111154.png
 
Finally getting around to choosing my tank. I have an alcove that is 58" wide by 40" deep. I will not be able to (easily) access the rear of the tank so I am considering a tank with an internal overflow. No options for access through the wall on the other side. I would prefer a longer tank and larger cabinet where I can hide everything (ATO, electrical, etc) in the cabinet vs a smaller tank with a side cabinet.

I have done extensive reading on all of the major manufacturers and have gone through dozens of threads on this site.

I think I have narrowed it down to the Innovative Marine INT 100, Waterbox Infinia 150.4 and Cade 1200. The IM tank (with a smaller than stock sump) would allow me to place everything within the cabinet. I am not crazy about the full-length overflow as it intrudes into the aquascape area quite a bit, but I love the look of the stand and the tanks get great reviews. The Waterbox sump is smaller and the stand leaves room for everything I would need. The Cade is sleek all around and the cabinet is designed with the idea of hiding all the electrical.

I'm putting everything into this one tank and I want to do it the right way, so I'm not concerned about a few dollars difference in cost or shipping time. I am just thrilled that technology has advanced so much since my last tank (65g, drilled overflow with closed loop pump, and T5 and MH) that I now have these difficult decisions.
You seem to have your mind made up
 
IM 100int is on a great sale right now
 
I have a Waterbox 150.4. I do like the construction and quality of the tank. My only complaint is the sump and under-tank layout. I have become very creative with wire routing and controller mounting. The aluminum that they use to construct the tank is not a standard size, so you can not easily bolt things to the strut pieces. I have found ways around this and would be more than welcome to give you an in-depth tank tour. The mods I have made would have been a lot easier before I put it together.
 
Not meant as an insult just an observation. If I said that I liked tank a or b would it matter to you? That is exactly the situation. My two Tanks have proved to be built solid and since I took one apart I know how complex the one was. I don't see where you asked a question seems more of a statement hence my answer. You make your decision on your own for your own reasons. I am sure most Tanks are constructed well these days
 
i would look for a 4' 150 shallow.

48x30x24 but your own stand and finish it like a built in.

have a picture of the alcove you plan to put it in?

you could do a similar size 48x30x24 and have the overflow drilled on the side like a peninsula tank. and move the tank to one side of the alcove and build custom cabinets to cover the rest and have access to everything including plumbing
 
I have a Waterbox 150.4. I do like the construction and quality of the tank. My only complaint is the sump and under-tank layout. I have become very creative with wire routing and controller mounting. The aluminum that they use to construct the tank is not a standard size, so you can not easily bolt things to the strut pieces. I have found ways around this and would be more than welcome to give you an in-depth tank tour. The mods I have made would have been a lot easier before I put it together.
I was thinking of this as well. With the open back of the stand, could everything be mounted on the wall behind and accessed that way? Sump and ATO with some remaining cabinet space, and all electrical mounted on back wall?'

I guess once you add UV and controllers and dosers it can become too much for that stand, but I do not currently plan on that.
 
I used one of the waterbox control boards on one side of the stand and I mounted a sheet of wood on the other side to mount controlers. These are what it started out as.
 

Attachments

  • 20250515_111434.jpg
    20250515_111434.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20250515_110520.jpg
    20250515_110520.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20250515_110514.jpg
    20250515_110514.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 32
Since then, I have stared mounting things to the overhead of the tank and I have made some aluminum panels for the back side of the tank.
Pre Roller Mat
20251027_191849.jpg

Tank reaangement to install roller mat. Moved the ATO storage tank to the other side to get better clearance.
20260601_095509.jpg

Panel for the back of the stand:
20251119_210150.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new