Dinoflagellates sample identification (pics and video)

SuthernReefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2021
Messages
324
Reaction score
217
Location
30736
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have NO idea what I'm looking at. Can anyone identify these dinos and how to go about combating them? Also,I just happened to catch this worm/nematod? Looks like it's struggling.

I'm throwing everything I can at these guys.

-Have UV (GKM) running at night.

-Dosed ocean magic phyto

-2 jars of copepods from Algae Barn. Each jar containing 2 different species.

-Dosed AF life source mud yesterday.

-Slowly raising P04/NO3 from 0.04 and 4.6 up to 0.1 and 5.

-Dosing PNS PROBIO

- Also using 3d reefer UV wand on sand bed
along with his recommended dosing of Microbe lift.

I'm unning carbon at night in a power filter just incase dino toxins are releasing. Have skimmer, but not running it as I want to keep nutrients up right now.

It's a lot, I know, but hoping this diversity thing works. 🙏



20250803_020000.jpg
20250803_015904.jpg
20250803_015754.jpg
20250803_010502.jpg
20250803_010456.jpg
 
I have NO idea what I'm looking at. Can anyone identify these dinos and how to go about combating them? Also,I just happened to catch this worm/nematod? Looks like it's struggling.

I'm throwing everything I can at these guys.

-Have UV (GKM) running at night.

-Dosed ocean magic phyto

-2 jars of copepods from Algae Barn. Each jar containing 2 different species.

-Dosed AF life source mud yesterday.

-Slowly raising P04/NO3 from 0.04 and 4.6 up to 0.1 and 5.

-Dosing PNS PROBIO

- Also using 3d reefer UV wand on sand bed
along with his recommended dosing of Microbe lift.

I'm unning carbon at night in a power filter just incase dino toxins are releasing. Have skimmer, but not running it as I want to keep nutrients up right now.

It's a lot, I know, but hoping this diversity thing works. 🙏



20250803_020000.jpg
20250803_015904.jpg
20250803_015754.jpg
20250803_010502.jpg
20250803_010456.jpg
Prorocentrum
 
Agree. Prorocentrum.

Turn off your UV sterilizer plumbed in to the tank. That is only useful for ostreopsis and coolia dinos. It will slow down the bacteria in the water column.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new