Dinoflagellates

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling dino for over a year now. I am down to no fish and very few corals in our 180. The dino only seems to live in the tank upstairs and nothing has transfered to the sumps in the basement or the fuge. I want to do like a month of lights out while keeping my alk and ph high. As well as wet skimming and carbon. What is the best way for me to clean off my corals to transfer them into a nano reef we have in our bedroom, i just dont want to infect that tank as well. thanks Brice

preston469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose hydroperoxide 1ml per 10 gallons. it wont hurt anything by day 5 you will have a very clean tank :rockon:

qterry22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a brief stint with Dino's. What I found is that all the so called remedies didnt work for me. Not saying that they don't work....but they just didn't for me. The black out will get rid of them temporarily. What I found that truly rid them was discovering the source of the problem. For me it was a nutrient problem. Even though all my test were coming up good I was still having issues. Eventually I discovered that my RO/DI water was providing my system with silicates and once I replaced my filters, reduced my feedings, and reduced my light cycles it started to regress.

The final remedy that tipped the scales in my favor was a homemade contraptions. I took egg crate and wrapped it in plastic netting. I then zip tied this to my center brace directly in-front of my power heads. Initially I would have to remove it and wash it once a day as it collected dinos. Eventually it was once a week and eventually the dinos cleared up. This might work for you and it might not.

What I found is that there is no "one" solution but multiple. Good luck and I hope my experience helps.

OP
OP
R

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So u were trying to trap them in the net after dislodging them? I have no fish so it isn't a feeding issue. I will look into my rodi unit other wise I would say it might be my rock which 1 yr ago was dry bulk reef supply pukani. Which I soaked in a phosphate removing spa solution and then ro water for weeks. My hanna was reading near zero after a week in fresh rodi so I assumed it was good.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your starting over, and your removing the rock to put into another tank for the time being, and you don't mind killing off the bacteria, then I'd just drop em in bleach for 24hours and be done with it. Rinse them off in a 5g bucket for a few hours after.

qterry22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ruppertb said:
So u were trying to trap them in the net after dislodging them? I have no fish so it isn't a feeding issue. I will look into my rodi unit other wise I would say it might be my rock which 1 yr ago was dry bulk reef supply pukani. Which I soaked in a phosphate removing spa solution and then ro water for weeks. My hanna was reading near zero after a week in fresh rodi so I assumed it was good.

Exactly. I would try to trap as much of it as I could. It seemed to collect the most throughout the day during the brightest point of my lighting cycles. Also I would like to mention that during my entire episode of dino's my test results came back clear. 0 nitrate 0 ammonia 0 nitrite .03 phosphate and a ph of 8.2. I believe that all the nitrate and phosphates were being locked up in the dinos and hair algae that I was also dealing with.

Last edited:

preston469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never dosed any higher just everyday in the morning.. and by day 5 it cleared all of my issues,

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back