Dinoflagellates?

Ponyboy_icw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210726_233656894.MP.jpg

Is this dinoflagellates and how do I get rid of them?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dino it is. Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
Ponyboy_icw

Ponyboy_icw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino it is. Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
Thanks so much for the info. I have 2 long polyp toadstool leathers and approximately 12 zoanthid polyps, that's it for corals at the moment. Lost a couple blue mushrooms and a frogspawn a couple weeks ago.
When you are saying to dose the tank with peroxide, do you mean spot dosing the dinos directly or just broadcast dosing in the tank after removing with the turkey baster?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks so much for the info. I have 2 long polyp toadstool leathers and approximately 12 zoanthid polyps, that's it for corals at the moment. Lost a couple blue mushrooms and a frogspawn a couple weeks ago.
When you are saying to dose the tank with peroxide, do you mean spot dosing the dinos directly or just broadcast dosing in the tank after removing with the turkey baster?
Broadcast

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you search this site, you'll also read that many reefers find UV to be an effective addition for managing some species. Good luck

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back