Dinos bleach testing

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a brief run in with Dino's when I first set up my tank, used someone's older live rock that must have had it. It nearly killed everything in my tank and nothing seemed to work. Dino's don't respond to blacking out the tank and any of the traditional algae killing. Clean up crews won't touch the stuff either. Best Solution that worked almost instantly was Hydrogen Peroxide dosing. I even pulled my liverock out that had corals on it and dunked and scrubbed in diluted buckets of it. It never came back and within a week it was gone for good. Didn't harm a single coral, fish or invert, except for a small torch coral that was struggling anyways.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a brief run in with Dino's when I first set up my tank, used someone's older live rock that must have had it. It nearly killed everything in my tank and nothing seemed to work. Dino's don't respond to blacking out the tank and any of the traditional algae killing. Clean up crews won't touch the stuff either. Best Solution that worked almost instantly was Hydrogen Peroxide dosing. I even pulled my liverock out that had corals on it and dunked and scrubbed in diluted buckets of it. It never came back and within a week it was gone for good. Didn't harm a single coral, fish or invert, except for a small torch coral that was struggling anyways.
Some species of dinos aren't even touched by h202. Osteo specifically

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice that my two small colonies of Bob Marley opened up today! So far so good for progress...the one colony I dipped and fragged two days ago is very slowly opening but I believe it has to do with me fragging at the same time

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys everyone seems to be opening nicely. Have only witnessed one Strand of dinos on one plug which I dipped again. Changing the amount and time to compensate....will be sending frags to twilliard to test for dinos....

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170127_131254.jpeg
20170127_131302.jpeg
20170127_131303.jpeg
20170127_131307.jpeg

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very soon I'll be sending frags of some of these to @twilliard for him to test with scope and see if there's dinos....my bet is either none or very minimal if at all Alive...

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any proven to be unaffected by blackouts? Worked for me, but there are always nuances.

Hey Cody, I have a nasty batch that has come back after three days blackout, elevated pH, H2O2 dosing and repeated manual removals. Out of frustration I have been dosing bleach in discrete doses every twelve hours. I have a ton of SPS in the tank that was getting choked out and would have died if I had done nothing. I have two more doses to go and yes the corals look stressed. However after manual removal the dinos are not reforming on the rack and plugs and the places I can't reach or miss are thinning out as well. I am only doing six doses and will be following with robust H2O2 to help keep it in check. I also have several different methods lined up to replenish my bacteria after this. I'm sure it is taking a heavy toll on my bio filtration. This isn't for everyone, but I'm doing it as a last ditch effort before shutting down the tank and trying to restart. I'll try to post results here or in Todd's thread.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Cody, I have a nasty batch that has come back after three days blackout, elevated pH, H2O2 dosing and repeated manual removals. Out of frustration I have been dosing bleach in discrete doses every twelve hours. I have a ton of SPS in the tank that was getting choked out and would have died if I had done nothing. I have two more doses to go and yes the corals look stressed. However after manual removal the dinos are not reforming on the rack and plugs and the places I can't reach or miss are thinning out as well. I am only doing six doses and will be following with robust H2O2 to help keep it in check. I also have several different methods lined up to replenish my bacteria after this. I'm sure it is taking a heavy toll on my bio filtration. This isn't for everyone, but I'm doing it as a last ditch effort before shutting down the tank and trying to restart. I'll try to post results here or in Todd's thread.
Bleach should kill all the dinos

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back