Dinos bleach testing

Carlos Oliveira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi people,

Sorry for dig up this topic, but there is a lot of good information here.

It seems that a baseline defined here is

1ml of bleach water to 2 american cups (473ml)

but the question that still remains: what is the bleach water concentration?

@domination2580 please shows up :)

Cheers!

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi people,

Sorry for dig up this topic, but there is a lot of good information here.

It seems that a baseline defined here is

1ml of bleach water to 2 american cups (473ml)

but the question that still remains: what is the bleach water concentration?

@domination2580 please shows up :)

Cheers!
What exactly do you mean bleach water concentration?

Carlos Oliveira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly do you mean bleach water concentration?
I don’t know in America, but here in Brazil there is a lot of bleach water concentrations ratios (more diluted, less diluted), even pure chloride, which is the same thing ...

Please give me a brand name so I can research the chloride concentration ...

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know in America, but here in Brazil there is a lot of bleach water concentrations ratios (more diluted, less diluted), even pure chloride, which is the same thing ...

Please give me a brand name so I can research the chloride concentration ...
Clorox bleach. I think its 5%

Reeferrunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clorox bleach. I think its 5%
So I just read all 8 pages of this thread looking for the dip bleach/tank water/time ratio you used and havent seen anything definitive besides the 1ml/2cups comment. You were waiting to say what you did until you did more testing but then you never actually revealed the specifics of what you did. Can you tells what you did now with the bleach dip?

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just read all 8 pages of this thread looking for the dip bleach/tank water/time ratio you used and havent seen anything definitive besides the 1ml/2cups comment. You were waiting to say what you did until you did more testing but then you never actually revealed the specifics of what you did. Can you tells what you did now with the bleach dip?
As of right now, I have bleach dipped, zoas, montis,and I believe a Duncan. The results on sps are unconfirmed as I have not tested them as I didnt have any then and now I have like 3 or 4. I believe it is 1 ml bleach (5%) to 2 cups of tank water. Monitor the reaction, usually I dipped for 10 min but the monetis I took out at 5 because they were a little more finicky.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now, I have bleach dipped, zoas, montis,and I believe a Duncan. The results on sps are unconfirmed as I have not tested them as I didnt have any then and now I have like 3 or 4. I believe it is 1 ml bleach (5%) to 2 cups of tank water. Monitor the reaction, usually I dipped for 10 min but the monetis I took out at 5 because they were a little more finicky.
What was the ID of the Dinos?

I understand that Dinos always present in your aquarium but an unbalanced tank will have outbreaks which make me question if it has any valid purpose at all.
If not on a frag you will get it on the snails back.
Bit off topic but There was a guy put Dinos in yoghurt and they died. Not sure how Zoas would like a yoghurt dip :)

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have the original thread from years ago? I was working on the bleach treatment at the beginning and had been gone years... Created a new account because I couldn't find my old one. But I had a formula and due to family issues shut the whole tank down. If anyone can link I'd greatly appreciate it

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have the original thread from years ago? I was working on the bleach treatment at the beginning and had been gone years... Created a new account because I couldn't find my old one. But I had a formula and due to family issues shut the whole tank down. If anyone can link I'd greatly appreciate it

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There I am! haha BoneXriffic. I can't get into that account anymore for some reason. Perhaps for being idle too long. Thanks for the link!

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread, but when doing bleach, one needs ro avoid clorox which uses "clor-max technology." It's not just sodium hypochlorite with a sprinkle of sodium hydroxide and water.

Cheap, generic unscented, NOT low splash bleach. Concentrated is typically fine. It's best if you can find the (m)sds for the product. Even then, it's not always going to say exactly what is in it.

I bet many here who had major issues used clorox, low splash or something else. I see nobody warning about the type of bleach to use.

I've been using bleach for a couple weeks to stop a dino toxins induced RTN fiasco. Nearly immediate remedy. All tissue loss stopped after the first dose. In that first day. The skimmer pulled alot more thick nasty skimmate, polyp expansion improved on everything, fish behavior improved. Much more vigorous. Within 3 days, acros started to get thier color back, and some even encrusting back over the bare spots. That was just a low dose of 1ml/150gal. I've since uppd to 5ml/150gal with 8% "concentrated" bleach, dosing 3-5x a day. 3 years of incessant dinos is enough. I'm sick of them.

Skimmer has returned back to normal. I also run ozone 24/7 as well, and dose bleach down the skimmer neck.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 101 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back