OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 fish deaths here. Only dosed twice. Not sure what happened. I do not recommend doing it with fish in the tank. You'll possibly end up with dead fish and still have to take all of the fish out to treat the tank.
I agree. Which I made clear lol. But this thread is of me testing dipping in a bleach solution to keep dinos from entering the tank. Corals only

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 fish deaths here. Only dosed twice. Not sure what happened. I do not recommend doing it with fish in the tank. You'll possibly end up with dead fish and still have to take all of the fish out to treat the tank.
I didn't know know people were dosing full tanks with bleach?? I thought you were using it to just clean corals?

Odysi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey domination just wondering if you have any updates on how this is coming along for you. I'm dealing with a dino outbreak now in my frag tank and trying Metro now only on day 4, but im trying to get info on all methods just in case I can't get them under control.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey domination just wondering if you have any updates on how this is coming along for you. I'm dealing with a dino outbreak now in my frag tank and trying Metro now only on day 4, but im trying to get info on all methods just in case I can't get them under control.
Hey! Glad to see people still interested in this! Actually I have dipped numerous frags! Mainly zoas and Some Duncan's and Montis. All did very well! For the Duncan's and Montis I used a little less potent combination for a little longer... so far I've had amazing results. My zoas did not stunt in growth, all of them made it.... same with Montis and Duncan's..

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, depending on the strain of dinos metro won't have long term effect. I had an outbreak as well and I dosed my tank with bleach and annihilated the dinos. I have yet to see any after the loser 3 or 4 months!

Odysi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm open to options I've already shut down my DT last year to due to dinos. I tried a bunch of different things from blackouts, h2o2, increased ph etc. Unfortunately after a year I gave up and broke down and am in the process of building a new tank. Which is why the dip has peaked my interests. I don't wanna transfer anything to the new tank.

As for dosing the tank what livestock in the tank? Also does this nuke beneficial bacteria as well? I have 1 fish and a hand full of snails in the frag tank right now and of course corals zoa's, Duncan, torch, chalices, acans and sps.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm open to options I've already shut down my DT last year to due to dinos. I tried a bunch of different things from blackouts, h2o2, increased ph etc. Unfortunately after a year I gave up and broke down and am in the process of building a new tank. Which is why the dip has peaked my interests. I don't wanna transfer anything to the new tank.

As for dosing the tank what livestock in the tank? Also does this nuke beneficial bacteria as well? I have 1 fish and a hand full of snails in the frag tank right now and of course corals zoa's, Duncan, torch, chalices, acans and sps.
Now sps I can't verify since I have none. @twilliard has more experience in the sps. When u dose bleach you don't want any fish or stars or shrimp....snails and crabs are fine. Yes it will kill bacteria so be prepared to do water changes before a new dose often. Also, you will dose according to the smell. I can get a baseline for you wrote up but would take me a little bit as I am at work. During which you will want to run your skimmer. Once the dosing is done you take all equipment besides the things that were in contact with the dosing out and completely clean them. If you have sand bed you will want to stir it before most doses.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I messed up.

20170702_203805.jpg

That was 50/50 bleach for 15 min?

*Joke Post*

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@domination2580 any updates? is 1mL/2 cups tank water the established dip dose and how long? I'm thinking of using this in my tank that has dinos on acro frags that are under the dino siege. Maybe that will help determine susceptibility for a full tank dose.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@domination2580 any updates? is 1mL/2 cups tank water the established dip dose and how long? I'm thinking of using this in my tank that has dinos on acro frags that are under the dino siege. Maybe that will help determine susceptibility for a full tank dose.
I would start with that dosage yes but I'd carefully watch it. I have not done any sps drags since I don't have any

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with that dosage yes but I'd carefully watch it. I have not done any sps drags since I don't have any
How long were you dipping for? I may start out 50% dosage or less just to see what happens. I may also dip dead frags first to prove the concept in my tank :)

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long were you dipping for? I may start out 50% dosage or less just to see what happens. I may also dip dead frags first to prove the concept in my tank :)
15 min tops. It is completely up to you. I take no responsibility if it turns bad sir.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 min tops. It is completely up to you. I take no responsibility if it turns bad sir.
No responsibility needed :). It just helps to have a baseline to go off of. I think the more information the better so with this I just plan/hope to be a contributor. This may just put me over the edge to buy a scope as well. I appreciate the efforts of you and @twilliard

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No responsibility needed :). It just helps to have a baseline to go off of. I think the more information the better so with this I just plan/hope to be a contributor. This may just put me over the edge to buy a scope as well. I appreciate the efforts of you and @twilliard
I'd love to get a scope myself.... just waiting to start the new job

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to get a scope myself.... just waiting to start the new job

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 52 41.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 63 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back