Dinos bleach testing

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, how long do the cysts stay in that form? Would multiple blackouts be an option?
I will try to keep this easy and simple.
When certain species of dinoflagellates feel that they are in harms way the ener into a state which I call the cyst. They will remain in this state until the danger is clear. Metro shows this process in 14 days. I have also found that vibrant also puts these guys into protection mode.
If they are in an environment they do not like and are allowed time they will form this shell.
These guys are intelligent and very self aware!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to add this for people thinking about doing a blackout.
This will NOT kill every last cell as there is a wide range of maturation of cells. This also kills zooxanthellae cells so the tank stress is not worth it.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to add this for people thinking about doing a blackout.
This will NOT kill every last cell as there is a wide range of maturation of cells. This also kills zooxanthellae cells so the tank stress is not worth it.

I've personally had success with doing a blackout. I have no clue what type of dinos or honestly any real details. I was still very new to the hobby then and basically followed some directions I received from a seasoned reefer. I let them grow to the extent that the entire back of the glass was covered, I had no clue what they were. Another thing to mention is with the majority of them on the glass (which looked like a brown stringy bubbly shag carpet), manual removal was quite easy and is likely the reason the blackout worked so well.

I did a total blackout for 48 hours, used only actinic lighting for 12 hours, saw some pop back up and did another blackout for 24 more hours. Followed by 12 more hours of actinic light only, then full light and they never returned. I have no doubt this probably wouldn't work in every case, just reporting my own experience.

Also, at the time I don't recall having any SPS, a few LPS, and many softies, but didn't sustain any coral loss.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've personally had success with doing a blackout. I have no clue what type of dinos or honestly any real details. I was still very new to the hobby then and basically followed some directions I received from a seasoned reefer. I let them grow to the extent that the entire back of the glass was covered, I had no clue what they were. Another thing to mention is with the majority of them on the glass (which looked like a brown stringy bubbly shag carpet), manual removal was quite easy and is likely the reason the blackout worked so well.

I did a total blackout for 48 hours, used only actinic lighting for 12 hours, saw some pop back up and did another blackout for 24 more hours. Followed by 12 more hours of actinic light only, then full light and they never returned. I have no doubt this probably wouldn't work in every case, just reporting my own experience.

Also, at the time I don't recall having any SPS, a few LPS, and many softies, but didn't sustain any coral loss.
I'm glad it worked for u! The strain I have weep not die by a blackout...

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been adding Bleach @ 3ml twice a day, in my tank for the last 3 days. I lost 2 acros, but as the saying goes only the strong survive. The dinos are finally starting to let go after blowing them off the rocks and a lot are collecting in my filter socks. I have also lowered my time my lights are on. Hopefully a mix of these things will help out. I don't know how many days I am going to do the bleach dosing, but everything is looking great right now, even my RBTA, duncans and Acros. Thank you @twilliard and @domination2580

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been adding Bleach @ 3ml twice a day, in my tank for the last 3 days. I lost 2 acros, but as the saying goes only the strong survive. The dinos are finally starting to let go after blowing them off the rocks and a lot are collecting in my filter socks. I have also lowered my time my lights are on. Hopefully a mix of these things will help out. I don't know how many days I am going to do the bleach dosing, but everything is looking great right now, even my RBTA, duncans and Acros. Thank you @twilliard and @domination2580
It's all twilliard! I'm just here for the ride amd doing the bleach myself...

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I had a hiccup on the bleach dipping experiment. Accidently introduced dinos into my qt so they all got dinos again. Tonight time will be doing more dips and adding them to a fresh clean tank...will follow up tonight.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good work guys.

As for blackouts. There are number of reported success stories however this is as about as successful as h202. Depending on the strain it can work or doing very little. Some strains have armour protecting the cell which makes h202 ineffective.

Also remember Dino's distribute during dark in the water column. It's possible that the some keepers filtration works over the lack of photosynthesis.
Still that's circumstantial and is my own hypothesis.

What is true is the cyst formation when threatened. It can remain this way for a very long time (dormant in the sandbed) until the water offers the correct parameters. No doubt what got these through the last mass extinction.

Do critters eat these. Yes but usually these critters are not enough alone to combat a 'red tide'.

Prevention of cause is key. Still even the most dilligent of us can make errors.
What I also find frustrating at least in the UK though probably the same in America is the lack of information handed to newbies.

The LFS or even online may give you everything you need acclimatise coral and fish but tell you nothing of the pitfalls once they are in the tank. Even the best may only suggest a dip of coralrx. Which often to someone new in the hobby no doubt reeling at the costs already associated, coralrx just sounds like a store sales gimmick.

Many years ago I passed on it for the same reason.

In my mind nasties should be at the start of every book and forefront of the LFS mind when discussing this hobby with new starters.

Lastly I think we all have a responsibility. Just because our tank is clear doesn't mean it's not infected. It can live within reason being naturally controlled. Share your frag with another person and their tank may not control it.
Whilst many may have it but simply not know what it is, for the largest part people do know. I bought a acro on fleebay only for it to arrive infested with Dino's.

I wouldnt distribute it so others shouldn't. If we all took that stance it would be a pest free hobby.

I'll end as I open ed this response - good work guys. I wanted to see a successful dip method.

Maybe even a combination of dips such as bleach and bayers as one stop solution.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"
Ok, so I had a hiccup on the bleach dipping experiment. Accidently introduced dinos into my qt so they all got dinos again. Tonight time will be doing more dips and adding them to a fresh clean tank...will follow up tonight."

See this is what I'm talking about. It's.easy to make errors even when doing controlled tests. Let alone under normal circumstances.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"
Ok, so I had a hiccup on the bleach dipping experiment. Accidently introduced dinos into my qt so they all got dinos again. Tonight time will be doing more dips and adding them to a fresh clean tank...will follow up tonight."

See this is what I'm talking about. It's.easy to make errors even when doing controlled tests. Let alone under normal circumstances.
Yes you are correct. I had a lot going on, still finding the time to complete these tests...

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • D/C

Votes: 58 63.0%
  • Both

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 13 14.1%
Back