Dinos in frag tank

SandersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I started my frag tank (40 liters) around 2 months ago and im now seeing some Dinoflagellate( ostreopsis) growth. The frag tank is plumbed to my display tank , my display is still clear of dinos and corals are doing great. I now added an 9 watt uv to my frag tank. Is this one big enough or do i need to get a bigger uv. Are the dinos likely to spread to the main display tank?
P04= 0.02
NO3= 2.4

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
I started my frag tank (40 liters) around 2 months ago and im now seeing some Dinoflagellate( ostreopsis) growth. The frag tank is plumbed to my display tank , my display is still clear of dinos and corals are doing great. I now added an 9 watt uv to my frag tank. Is this one big enough or do i need to get a bigger uv. Are the dinos likely to spread to the main display tank?
P04= 0.02
NO3= 2.4

Not sure what your actual total water volume is but that will determine the size of the UV you should use. Also make sure the flow rate through the UV is properly set to the manufactures specs.

I would also recommend a power filter, they do wonders for cleaning up your tank, I usually use it to blow off all the rocks then park it in a corner to do its thing.

PF
PF_2
PF_3

As you can see by the videos there are many ways to build one, but just remember to use the sera wool as it seems to work the best.

Sera wool
Pump I like
Filter housing

This website recommends 1 watt for every 3 gallons of water.
1watt/3gal

If I had to guess the dinos are only popping up on the new surfaces in your system because the surfaces haven’t had enough time to build up with bacteria and other things the coat all the surfaces in our tank that we like/don’t notice.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back