Dinos on 3 mo old tank

Rmorrison23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have what appears to be dinos forming in a pretty new tank. Only 5 fish and just added tester coral(zoa) new years eve. What can I do to rid them easy? Read a bunch of different methods, trying not to use crazy chemicals.
Ph 7.9
Alk 8.3
Ca 440
Mg 1480
No3 7ppm
Po4 .03
Feeding 1/4 cube mysis 2x per day
Running UV as of about 7 days ago...around when dinos started to show

Any help greatly appreciated!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemi clean seems to be a viable option... and an abundance of patience.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have what appears to be dinos forming in a pretty new tank. Only 5 fish and just added tester coral(zoa) new years eve. What can I do to rid them easy? Read a bunch of different methods, trying not to use crazy chemicals.
Ph 7.9
Alk 8.3
Ca 440
Mg 1480
No3 7ppm
Po4 .03
Feeding 1/4 cube mysis 2x per day
Running UV as of about 7 days ago...around when dinos started to show

Any help greatly appreciated!
Dinos usually result from maintaining too low nutrient system. You could try running skimmer 50% of the time or if your running GFO or similar stopping that.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No chemiClean. here you go :

Before treatment, check your phosphate and nitrate to assure levels aren’t elevated
Blow loose with a turkey baster. It will capture and clean more surface area. Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just leave it alone and let it run its cycle - patience (agree). One thing that can make it worse...water change, well that is what made my tank worse and when I read that, I was floored.

Back