Dinos or no Dino’s?

swagZ69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m in need of help identifying this bacteria or algae? New to reef keeping tank has been up for a little bit over a month my nitrates are roughly 10ppm and phosphates 0ppm I’ve been doing quite a bit of research have come to believe I have Dino’s I attached a video below in hopes someone would know what it is and how I can solve it.

Attachments

• IMG_1700.MP4
    26.8 MB

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean more toward actually diatoms instead of dinos in a 1 month old tank. It is very common for diatoms to hit during that time period. They will consume the silicates in the sane and system and then typically die off on their own.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the video on my iPad but I agree with Idoc.

OP
OP
S

swagZ69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean more toward actually diatoms instead of dinos in a 1 month old tank. It is very common for diatoms to hit during that time period. They will consume the silicates in the sane and system and then typically die off on their own.
Interesting I’ve had diatom bloooms a few times in this tank and it didn’t look like this beside the rusty color this is looking kind of slimy and none of my clean up crew will even think about touching it. It’s definitely still in its early stages so it’s hard to tell just trying to get ahead of it before it can consume the whole tank if it is Dino’s thanks for any advice

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting I’ve had diatom bloooms a few times in this tank and it didn’t look like this beside the rusty color this is looking kind of slimy and none of my clean up crew will even think about touching it. It’s definitely still in its early stages so it’s hard to tell just trying to get ahead of it before it can consume the whole tank if it is Dino’s thanks for any advice
To attempt to get ahead of any dino infestations, make sure you are keeping plenty of nutrients (No3 & Po4) in the system as well has adding a lot of biodiversity to the tank so that maybe the dinos don't have the opportunity to take control.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dinos, I can see the strings on top of the masses. Is it worse during the day than at night?

Can you blow it off with a turkey baster? You saying it looks like slime kind of gives it away as dinos thought.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 72 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 9.0%
Back