Dinos!!!!

seasjr2

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All. I believe i have Dinos in my tank. Could be Ostreopsis. No microscope to tell. Attached is a photo. Currently running a Waterbox Marine X 110. reef mat 500 2 radion xr15s G6 blues. Nyos protien skimmer. Neptune apex pro with trident system. I have a UV sterilizer coming next week. Relatively new tank online for 4 months. I have an assortment of fish and inverts some softies and LPS acros are doing well. my blue hippo has been repeatedly flashing and ive lost a coral beauty. multiple fire fish and two shrimps. putting the fish in a hospital tank tonight.

nitrates and phosphorous were almost nonexistent which is what i believe led to this chaos. Bringing levels back up. As soon as i get the fish out i plan of siphoning out the dinos and going dark in the tank while adding MB7. I ordered the Aqua uv sterilizer 57w which i plan on putting on my return pump to steralize everything from the sump back into the main display. Besides adding copepods. Any advise would be helpful...



1205d44a-ba88-446e-85b3-c4651eba2ef9.jpg

48c821c7-d047-43e1-8d13-35bd3f515251.jpg

320335a3-8247-45ee-aab8-0d111037e00e.png

54b2eef1-9ff8-46ba-b626-c95cb1bb8c63.jpg
 
Most of the dino "battle field" is anecdotal in terms of the processes. Very first thing I would do is to evaluate your lighting intensity and duration. These things (the dinos) can really take off under overly bright LED lighting.

The livestock issues may be something all together entirely different.
 
I see this is your first post, welcome to r2r.

Not only does low phosphate promote Dinoflagellets when combined with low inorganic nitrogen, Dinoflagellets become toxic.

I would not add pods, yet. Dinoflagellets may be toxic. Consider dosing silicates to promotes diatoms to outcompete Dinoflagellets.

How long has this tank been set up?

@seasjr2
Personally, I think you have too much mechanical filtration. Consider adding some diver collected live rock to bring in bio diversity that provides competitors and consumers of nuisance algae.

https://gulfliverock.com/premium-deco-live-rock

And
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new