Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A concept for the sump:

sump-1.png

sump-2.png

Inside the sump is (very rough) model of a Tunze DOC 9004 Skimmer, and a holder for a 4" sock plus two piping or heater holders for 1" Sch80. The two red boxes are modeling two Sicce Syncra 1.5 pumps (though I am planning to use 1.0/0.5).

Also, I re-did the stand tubing to have 6 points of contact to the ground instead of four corners.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A concept for the sump:

sump-1.png

sump-2.png

Inside the sump is (very rough) model of a Tunze DOC 9004 Skimmer, and a holder for a 4" sock plus two piping or heater holders for 1" Sch80. The two red boxes are modeling two Sicce Syncra 1.5 pumps (though I am planning to use 1.0/0.5).

Also, I re-did the stand tubing to have 6 points of contact to the ground instead of four corners.
I really like this setup. Nice and simple.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A concept for the sump:

sump-1.png

sump-2.png

Any particular reason for the Tunze skimmer and not a more conventional style?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular reason for the Tunze skimmer and not a more conventional style?

Size and small tank primarily. My current line of thinking is much larger refuge and small skimmer.

The next realistic small skimmer would be the RO 150 Space Saver.

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@theatrus
ya will get alot of micro bubbles, know m sayin?
The last baffle needs to be tweaked.
need help with the design? let me know.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@theatrus
ya will get alot of micro bubbles, know m sayin?
The last baffle needs to be tweaked.
need help with the design? let me know.

Happy to hear it - the last chamber teeth do need to go, but I do run smooth weirs on my 90g sump with no major bubble issues.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm re-doing the overflow box a bit. Now the interior box is smaller, and the bulk-head will need to be half-installed before final gluing. The external box is raised to properly accommodate the herbie emergency drain.

overflow-1.png

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a bad head cold today so not much progress on much of anything, except for looking at too many overflow designs to count.

Currently thinking of this, including plumbing. The gate valve in the sump is not modeled on the siphon drain (can't seem to find a ready made model out there, bummer)

overflow-2.png

overflow-3.png

I've shrunk the overflow to a single on-tank bulkhead, which allows decreasing a majority of the dimensions (and I can upsize that bulkhead to 1"). Two 3/4" drains to the sump, one of which will have a gate valve. I'm going to design a pipe strap (3d print) for the T-slot to the drain pipes to hold them in place and not carry the plumbing weight on the external overflow box.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates on the overflow and returns:

Two 1/2" returns. Bulkheads are so big here, it would be nice to get to a way to seal these holes with a smaller footprint, but if the back is entirely black who will notice?

The return box is now coupled with 1 1", and the entire return box has shrunk. The middle of the returns is 1.5" below the top edge of the glass - I don't want to drill any higher to the top edge., or I could just HOB the returns (easier! but breaks the rimless look). The horizontal spacing isn't set yet. The return weir bottom is currently set at 0.9" from the top of the tank, realistically the flowing water would be 0.7" or so.

overflow-4.png

I also have some Soss hinges on hand, as well as the router template. I'm going to test mounting the hinges into some scrap lumber first. I really love the motion though. Once I settle on the front door setup, I'll finally get to ordering the (significantly over specified and overbuilt) 8020.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light concept 1. I may flatten these and switch to a blower-type fan to reduce height. The standard 80mm fan and 3.5" HSUSA extrusion is a bit... tall. Note that the lights would be boxed in, likely in black acrylic.

light-4.png

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back