Dinosaur to Phoenix, a new 22G Long mini build

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And proof I'm not totally inept at woodworking, care of the Soss 101 Hinge Router Template:

hinge-1.jpg
Looks really good! It's hard to work with plywood!

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good! It's hard to work with plywood!

Not pictured is me forgetting to drill pilots for the hinge screws and cracking the plywood. :)

The routing process is fine, but I’m not impressed with the fill on this plywood - lots of inner layer little voids. Maybe I’ll try heading to a real lumber store and see what I can source - this was the Home Depot 3/4” Birch.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not pictured is me forgetting to drill pilots for the hinge screws and cracking the plywood. :)

The routing process is fine, but I’m not impressed with the fill on this plywood - lots of inner layer little voids. Maybe I’ll try heading to a real lumber store and see what I can source - this was the Home Depot 3/4” Birch.
Good plywood is hard to find, voids are common. ApplePly is good stuff: minimal voids, more/thinner layers, more care taken in production.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood! I edge glued two 1x8 birch boards to serve as the base for the aquarium on top of the 8020 frame. I'll need to make another two saw cuts to get it back to 12"x36".

wood-1.jpg

After some light planing and sanding on the top surface. I still need to plane out the bottom surface. This is mostly using an orbital sander and powered hand planer (so not ideal since its not very wide)

wood-2.jpg

I'm also testing stains. The bulk of the stain here is the "Red Mahogany" color. I'm also testing sealing and not sealing the wood to avoid splotchiness with the stain. The other colors are red chestnut and jacobean (both only one coat).

wood-3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wood-5.jpg

Cut on the table saw and another pass of 120 grit.

wood-4.jpg

Fit looks good (you can tell the tank has basically never left the box lol)! If I could, I'd add back like 0.2mm in width, since the tank vs the glass isn't quite square, but this is pretty much in tolerances and wood will breath a little anyway.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bc58fe5090f6d6899c498fa44e89eccd.jpg

Stain R&D continues. Currently narrowing in on:

General Finishes Gel Georgian Cherry
Minwax PolyShades Bombay Mahoganny

The latter isn’t a real stain but a combo polyurethane so its layering is a lot more like paint. Doesn’t stain as much as adds a translucent coat. I may combine the two (stain then poly).

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back