Dipping Corals- Few pests?

D9ohsoar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.. I recently brought home 3 new corals. While acclimating them, I set up my dipping station. 1 container with the Revive dipping solution (following the directions on the bottle). Then I had two fresh saltwater bowls to rinse the dip off. Well, after waiting the 15 mins, I noticed some not many pests come off. A few hitchhiker star fish and some other unknown creatures. I rinsed them in one fresh saltwater bowl then in the second for good measure and then added them to my tank. Now I’m starting to think.. did I make a mistake? Why was the bowl not filled with pests? Is that good or bad? I’m starting to worry and second guess my process. Again, I followed the instructions on the bottle. Any advice appreciated, thank you!

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
maybe you lucked out and got a frag with little to no pests! i would be glad to dip a frag and find that nothing comes out.

do not let this discourage you from having and continuing having good husbandry

OP
OP
D9ohsoar

D9ohsoar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe you lucked out and got a frag with little to no pests! i would be glad to dip a frag and find that nothing comes out.

do not let this discourage you from having and continuing having good husbandry
Thank you!! So far everyone is looking healthy and adapting well

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.. I recently brought home 3 new corals. While acclimating them, I set up my dipping station. 1 container with the Revive dipping solution (following the directions on the bottle). Then I had two fresh saltwater bowls to rinse the dip off. Well, after waiting the 15 mins, I noticed some not many pests come off. A few hitchhiker star fish and some other unknown creatures. I rinsed them in one fresh saltwater bowl then in the second for good measure and then added them to my tank. Now I’m starting to think.. did I make a mistake? Why was the bowl not filled with pests? Is that good or bad? I’m starting to worry and second guess my process. Again, I followed the instructions on the bottle. Any advice appreciated, thank you!
Not every coral will be covered in critters. You cant find all sorts of stuff, good, bad, lots or nothing. But we dip to avoid the bad, if you find something you want to save during a dip just remove it and throw in clean water as soon as you can.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.. I recently brought home 3 new corals. While acclimating them, I set up my dipping station. 1 container with the Revive dipping solution (following the directions on the bottle). Then I had two fresh saltwater bowls to rinse the dip off. Well, after waiting the 15 mins, I noticed some not many pests come off. A few hitchhiker star fish and some other unknown creatures. I rinsed them in one fresh saltwater bowl then in the second for good measure and then added them to my tank. Now I’m starting to think.. did I make a mistake? Why was the bowl not filled with pests? Is that good or bad? I’m starting to worry and second guess my process. Again, I followed the instructions on the bottle. Any advice appreciated, thank you
Quarantine is always recommended. But, when dipping, it’s best to stir the water during its soak. It helps get any pests off the frag in the medicated dip. And, much of what you think is just sand in the bowl after dipping is actually small mites and other pests. Much of what you are dipping for is almost too small to see with the naked eye.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine is always recommended. But, when dipping, it’s best to stir the water during its soak. It helps get any pests off the frag in the medicated dip. And, much of what you think is just sand in the bowl after dipping is actually small mites and other pests. Much of what you are dipping for is almost too small to see with the naked eye.
Oh, in addition to what I already posted, make sure you know what kind of dip you’re using. There’s a difference between medicated dips for common illness and dips for pests and parasites.
…happy reefing.

Neon_Devil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just got frags that didn't have many pests which is good.

Back