Dipping frags in baking soda, vs insta set?

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to head out and get super glue, among other supplies, and had a thought.

What if instead of filling the divot with gel glue, placing frag, and spritzing with instaset, I dipped the frag in baking soda to get a little clump on the end, placed that in the divot, then added a few drops of non-gel glue.

Like I see with aqua scape building.

In any event I'm on my way to the store now, so you guys have an hour or two to talk me out of trying it.

OP
OP
Joekovar

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using blue cap Gorilla glue along with Arm & Hammer baking soda is a fail. I tried both applying the glue after, and filling the divot in the frag plug before. It's probably equal to, or worse than using gel super glue alone.

Dipping the cut end of a montipora digitata in baking soda was promising. The soda collects in a seemingly perfect little blob as expected.

I'll have to find some really watery super glue and try again. The blue cap Gorilla glue is more viscous than I anticipated.

With something less viscous, I think the soda may be able to wick up a puddle of glue and set just as fast as I can place it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back