Dipping frags in baking soda, vs insta set?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joekovar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Joekovar

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 22, 2020
Messages
319
Reaction score
331
Location
Tampabay
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to head out and get super glue, among other supplies, and had a thought.

What if instead of filling the divot with gel glue, placing frag, and spritzing with instaset, I dipped the frag in baking soda to get a little clump on the end, placed that in the divot, then added a few drops of non-gel glue.

Like I see with aqua scape building.

In any event I'm on my way to the store now, so you guys have an hour or two to talk me out of trying it.
 
Using blue cap Gorilla glue along with Arm & Hammer baking soda is a fail. I tried both applying the glue after, and filling the divot in the frag plug before. It's probably equal to, or worse than using gel super glue alone.

Dipping the cut end of a montipora digitata in baking soda was promising. The soda collects in a seemingly perfect little blob as expected.

I'll have to find some really watery super glue and try again. The blue cap Gorilla glue is more viscous than I anticipated.

With something less viscous, I think the soda may be able to wick up a puddle of glue and set just as fast as I can place it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new