Dipping- what are the differences, and should corals be dipped multiple times before hitting the display tank?

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a coral QT at this time, so I am dipping (Fauna Marin The Dip), swishing in RODI, then adding to tank after acclimitizing.

Looking for advice from the vets here - which dip do you use?

Do you do an iodine/Lugols dip? I've heard of people doing it both with new corals, and also with fragged corals.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Coral Rx to remove pests. I let the frag sit in the dip for 10 minutes, and blow it off gently with a pipette to dislodge any unwanted critters. This dip doesn't seem to kill the pests, but just bother them enough to be removed.
I also use iodine dip for fresh frags that have fleshy polyps that get cut to help guard against infections.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tidal gardens has a great video on acclimating and dipping corals. I always use CoralRX.

For corals that I buy locally I’ll acclimate and dip right away. For corals that are shipped I’ll leave in a QT for a few days / week to let it adjust and then dip before moving to the DT

@Lebowski_ whats the purpose of the RODI dip?

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I use mainly KCl salt.

1 Tblspoon per gal of saltwater. Dip for 10-15 min.

I do have a QT and depending on the type of corals, I would dip every 3-4 days for at least 2 months to ensure newly hatch flatworms get kill off.

If you have interceptor, you can also do a 24-48 hr dip of acros for black/red bugs.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lebowski_ whats the purpose of the RODI dip?

I had a local shop owner suggest replacing the "rinse in a container of saltwater" with rinse in RODI, so I follow their advice. They are a big Fauna Marin fan which is why I ended up with The Dip. Everyone used Rivive back in my original foray, now it seems like CoralRx is most often suggested.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back