Dips vs. Dinos, and the RIP CLEAN.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those playing at home, my 12 gallon nano went from "wow that looks great" to 7 days of vacation later to now "it's all dinos"...so beyond my pain and suffering and on again off again battle with dinos with this tank, I'm going to rip it down, and start over with it by draining/cleaning/resetting the tank. Probably this weekend if I have time. I'll try and document it. BUT, I have a question concerning dips -

I have coral and livestock in this tank, and obviously it's a pipe dream to stop any and all transfer of dinos from one to the other, but is there a dip or method out there to use on coral to kill or remove any existing dino while transferring the coral to a holding tank?

Thanks guys. Have a good weekend. I hate reefing this week. :D

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your struggles with Dinos.

Have you checked you lights. Just throwing this out there?

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your struggles with Dinos.

Have you checked you lights. Just throwing this out there?
I have a red sea reef led 50 watt on that tank. I don’t have a PAR meter. This is my first LED so I’m sure my spectrum is probably not great. I generally mostly just run blues, usually around 60-70% with maybe 20% whites. I guess I don’t understand the question. What should I be checking for?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont dip corals during a rip clean

the deep clean act alone fixes most tanks wo dips and that's adding an untracked compound effort to the mix. best to go with straight copy rip clean in my opinion, those aren't showing a need for improvement.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I wouldn’t dip and cause more stress to them. I did a rip clean without doing any dip and honestly didn’t clean my rocks too well either. I had a trachy that constantly ate and pooped Dino’s out. Dino’s didn’t come back for a few weeks after the rip clean (I accidentally let my nutrients bottom out for over a week so they came back). But it was a very short battle that time to get rid of them once and for all.

The rip clean did its job and reset the tank corals looked the best they had in months instantly. I just got lax on the nutrients and it came back to bite me.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also wanted to add that we merely get lucky in the one pass fixes, nice where occurs

a fair portion of reefers have a mild growback to manage, and removing dandelions from a garden is also a repeat task

:)

at its worst a rip clean re aligns mass in your favor. any legit treatment you want to try after a rip clean is amplified; its the fewest target cell condition possible. and if your treatment succeeds you are degrading less target mass in the system as more detritus. removing detritus is always beneficial in invasion cases.

more than one way exists to fix any invasion

to have your tank totally cleaned of waste is one unique way of addressing invasions that haven't even hit yet. no one ever posted yet: I'm so angry that my reef is shining from head to toe, that the corals are so extended they're about to pop out of skeletons with feeder tentacles
(48 hours after a rip clean)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea reef led 50 watt on that tank. I don’t have a PAR meter. This is my first LED so I’m sure my spectrum is probably not great. I generally mostly just run blues, usually around 60-70% with maybe 20% whites. I guess I don’t understand the question. What should I be checking for?
I was having Dino issues. It was suggested the WWC to back off the time and intensity of the white spectrum. The Dino went away.

I run my LED lights for 12 hours

My white spectrum run for about 4 hours at 20% now. I used to run the white for 8 hours.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having Dino issues. It was suggested the WWC to back off the time and intensity of the white spectrum. The Dino went away.

I run my LED lights for 12 hours

My white spectrum run for about 4 hours at 20% now. I used to run the white for 8 hours.
I will do that. Thanks.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also wanted to add that we merely get lucky in the one pass fixes, nice where occurs

a fair portion of reefers have a mild growback to manage, and removing dandelions from a garden is also a repeat task

:)

at its worst a rip clean re aligns mass in your favor. any legit treatment you want to try after a rip clean is amplified; its the fewest target cell condition possible. and if your treatment succeeds you are degrading less target mass in the system as more detritus. removing detritus is always beneficial in invasion cases.

more than one way exists to fix any invasion

to have your tank totally cleaned of waste is one unique way of addressing invasions that haven't even hit yet. no one ever posted yet: I'm so angry that my reef is shining from head to toe, that the corals are so extended they're about to pop out of skeletons with feeder tentacles
(48 hours after a rip clean)
I was going to not transfer water, is that a mistake?

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just unbelievable how bad it got in 7-8 days of non-interaction. I didn’t have my sub use mysis for food so I had pellets laid out, other than that nothing changed. I got no idea. At this point I’m in for a hard reboot. I should have just done it before when the issues were very mild, but laziness and frustration led to that decision.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that small of a tank it’s best to use all new water

I can’t think of many rip cleans where we used old water

maybe some of the large 220+ gallon jobs bc accessing all new water costs so much

you’d match temp and salinity to the old water, swish off corals in clean saltwater, swish and brush off rocks in clean saltwater buckets. Tap rinse the sand for an hour, final rinse ro, all new water and ramp down lights lower intensity for two days. Feed nicely upon new setup

dont buy bottle bac we specifically exclude it in rip cleans

brushing and swishing twisting rocks in clean saltwater buckets doesn’t harm their bac, and we tap rinse sand because we don’t need sandbed bacteria in any reef tank. In some of our rip cleans sand doesn’t even go back in the new setup.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had another dinos post about to rip clean this weekend not sure if they’re still going through

can you post before tank shot pics of your nano, in its most challenged condition

the after pics will be polar opposite.

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I beat dinos recently from bottomed out nutrients. I turned of my skimmer for a month and feed heavy and dosed hydrogen peroxide every night once the lights were off about an hour later.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 123 47.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.3%
Back