Dirt Diggler's Reef-pi Build

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the pumps I used for mine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791YL351/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are surprisingly accurate for the price. I have checked the calibration on them a couple time since putting them into service and found they have stayed where they were when I first calibrated.
10 second duration at 60% speed gives me 10ML.
The Jebao dosers can be hacked into to use with reef-pi. I think @b4tn did this in his build.
Looking at the Jebao pumps, they look to be the same as most of the ebay or Amazon cheapo style pumps.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet...my plants seem to be growing very well with fish waste as fert. Of course water changes of 20 percent a week must be keeping trace minerals good as well. My water is city water but I live in a rural area, the water source is an ultra clean spring fed creek which flows into a reservoir. From the tap im 6.8-7.0ph, gh 8, kh 3, no nitrates, or phosphates...so perfect for south american fish out of the tap.
The water is filtered and only chlorine added, no chloramine, so a little prime to neutralize the chlorine and I can put it right into the tank.
I may look at dosers to add a shot of prime for ATO use, so i can dechlorinate water being added...but thats not until my 40 breeder sump gets installed when it gets warmer

Last edited:
OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet...my plants seem to be growing very well with fish waste as fert. Of course water changes of 20 percent a week must be keeping trace minerals good as well. My water is city water but I live in a rural area, the water source is an ultra clean spring fed creek which flows into a reservoir. From the tap im 6.8-7.0ph, gh 8, kh 3, no nitrates, or phosphates...so perfect for south american fish out of the tap.
The water is filtered and only chlorine added, no chloramine, so a little prime to neutralize the chlorine and I can put it right into the tank.
Nice! I'll post a pic of my planted tank at some point.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the pumps I used for mine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791YL351/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are surprisingly accurate for the price. I have checked the calibration on them a couple time since putting them into service and found they have stayed where they were when I first calibrated.
10 second duration at 60% speed gives me 10ML.
The Jebao dosers can be hacked into to use with reef-pi. I think @b4tn did this in his build.
Looking at the Jebao pumps, they look to be the same as most of the ebay or Amazon cheapo style pumps.

At the end of the day, hacking a jebao might be more cost effective than building a new enclosure for a couple of pumps. It'd be awesome if I could leverage all 4 pumps. I'm sure that @b4tn would have additional insight into how to do this, and how well the pumps hold their accuracy.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I'll post a pic of my planted tank at some point.
Awesome, id love to see!
Anyways why would I fertilize, im trimming a half of a 5 gallon bucket of plants out every week.
I literally take scissors and cut the vallisneria at 2 inches below tank height, in a week they are curling around the surface, blocking light again.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, id love to see!
Anyways why would I fertilize, im trimming a half of a 5 gallon bucket of plants out every week.
I literally take scissors and cut the vallisneria at 2 inches below tank height, in a week they are curling around the surface, blocking light again.
Just took a couple of pics to show you my favorite FW tank.
20190202_100045.jpeg
20190202_100050.jpeg

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!

Very nice! You using BDBS as substrate?

Thanks! I am using the blasting sand as my substrate. It was a PITA to wash, but it's sooooo cheap compared to the dedicated aquarium substrate, and it's just inert coal slag, I believe. The plants dig it, as do the fish. I have a mix of blasting sand, and crushed coral in my African Cichlid tank, but I'm about to tear that one down and begin converting it into a reef tank.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I am using the blasting sand as my substrate. It was a PITA to wash, but it's sooooo cheap compared to the dedicated aquarium substrate, and it's just inert coal slag, I believe. The plants dig it, as do the fish. I have a mix of blasting sand, and crushed coral in my African Cichlid tank, but I'm about to tear that one down and begin converting it into a reef tank.

Yes, BDBS is Black Diamond Blasting Sand. Many a FW keeper have had great results, like you!

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bdbs is great! Get some malaysian trumpets and they will dig around keep it from clogging and break up stuff so the plants can use it. Like aquarium earthworms...
I have MTS in both of my FW tanks, for that very reason.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you try putting in the AIO again?

I've put the AIO in several times. The only think I can think of is that the username is the entire email address, and not the user name as displayed by adafruit. Could you share some screenshots with your AIO key blocked out?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back