Dirty Saltwater And RO

dtefft2023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has tried cleaning the dirty saltwater from an aquarium water change using an RO system. Generally, not a lot of water and might not be worth the expense; however, I have a 240-, 130-, and 60-Gallon setup and will probably add some more and would prefer not to dump saltwater outside or into a Septic system.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to imagine the rate filters would be clogged and needing replaced would be staggering

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater RO systems run at about 800 psi. Let us know when you're ready and we'll fix you up ;)

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has tried cleaning the dirty saltwater from an aquarium water change using an RO system. Generally, not a lot of water and might not be worth the expense; however, I have a 240-, 130-, and 60-Gallon setup and will probably add some more and would prefer not to dump saltwater outside or into a Septic system.

What would be the goal? To make clean fresh water from water change water?

You'd still be dumping out the salt that was rejected by the RO.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A typical family of Four use 400 gallons of water a day, a mere drop in the bucket from your Aquarium .Also when you make new RO/DI water, more water is flushed down the drain, than the amount of Saltwater. I’ve used my discarded water for other purposes, weed killer on my Driveway Stone border. Killed the Bradford Pear weed trees, off. Used it mixed with Vinegar to kill poison ivy. Killing the Greenbrier Vine Tuber. Pre-treatment on driveway before a snow storm, and it’s even killed mold and algae off of concrete.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure it would be cost-effective, but I am interested to see how others who have more experience than me respond.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are basically talking about Desalination Unit.
You can do it, for close to $4K you can get marine desalination unit for small boats, making 40Gal freshwater/h from sea water.
I agree, though, cost, both in terms of money, but also environmental costs would be rather prohibitive.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure it would be cost-effective, but I am interested to see how others who have more experience than me respond.

I think the question is resolved as not being of any practical utility. :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back