Dirty Sand - Can't seem to get the elusive white sand

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember I had the same issue around the 6 month time. Ever since then I turn over the sand daily which helps in the long run.
Get you a mini sand rake, or one of those extendable key chain type back scratchers and rake your sand daily or at least every 2 days. ..all my local LFS give me a free Reef Hobbyist Magazine when they come out every quarter, you see such insane SPS reefs with sparkling white sand...but read the actual article.. every one who has their tank posted in said Magazine all say they rake or turn over the sand bed every day...

I'm trying do go for every 2 days now.

benaharoni02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun do the black sea cucumbers go on the rock work at all? or do they stick to the sandbed only? or both?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun do the black sea cucumbers go on the rock work at all? or do they stick to the sandbed only? or both?
The black ones I have do occasionally venture onto the rocks (or recently, one went under), but it's for very short durations - mainly to turn around, etc. For the most part they remain in the substrate where all the nutrients re.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, yet another post about stuff on the sand, but I'm truly stumped. It goes away completely at night and grows only on the sand during the day. I'm pretty sure it's not Dinos, I test my parameters constantly and I have never had my nutrients bottom out. Thinking it was Cyano, I've tried two rounds of Chemiclean to no avail, so I'm not thinking it's Cyano at this point. Also, I don't have that slime cover that you get with Cyano.

I don't think it's Diatoms, since it clears up and it's not a brown dust, and my rocks are perfectly clean.

My parameters are:

130gal total water volume (peninsula)
Tank age - 6 months

Nitrate - 13.1
Phosphate - 0.26
PH - 8.3
Alk - 9.3dkh
Salinity - 35ppt

I do 10-15% water changes weekly and it usually comes back by day 2 or 3. I just started GFO to drop my phosphates down to .1 but I'm not sure that'll help. I have 2 Conches, a Sea Cucumber, tons of crabs, snails, and a watchman goby...they don't really move the sand enough, but I suppose I can get more.

2x MP40 is running at 75% so flow is ok.

I'm at a loss! Does anyone have any ideas on what I should try? Maybe it's time to get a UV?

dirty_sand.jpg
Your expectations might be too high about how quickly nuisance algae growth stops. Next year maybe.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%

Back