Disappearing Clown fish

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 4 Clown fish, 2 Darwin Black and White and 2 Orange and White oscellaris. They had paired up 1 orange with 1 black and white each. (Don't know why). For a little over a year.

Then I had 3 clown fish. Then 3-4 months went by and I was down to two. No, corpses outside the tank (I run mesh covers to prevent this) and no corpses that I could find in the display. Though it is 340 gallons so, who knows...

Then last week another 2-3 months later I noticed I was down to one black and white darwin clown fish. He looked normal and was feeding normal. Then, just today a week later, I noticed the last darwin clown is missing.

My Dragon wrasse has been getting very agressive with other fish. Outright attacking my creole anthia (locking jaws at times). However, I've never seen my dragon wrasse eat a fish. I've seen needles sticking out of his mouth.. (Pretty sure he ate birstle worms that were maybe too big for him...)

He could possibly get his mouth around a clown fish if he tried. It opens pretty large. Just wondering if anyone has heard of Dragon Wrasses actually eating other fish? Or if my clown fish died off to some unknown disease. All I've lost are clown fish. Granted they were my smallest fish in the display.

I have a canary blenny, and Royal gramma all similar in size to the clown fish, neither one of them have been eaten yet. I have no corpses at all to tell a story with. . . Either they died in the rocks and the bristle worms devoured them to the point I never saw a corpse or anything. Or a fish got hungry and saw them as a meal?

I had to be gone a couple weekends, so, all I had was the autofeeder feeding flake and pellet food. The Dragon wrasse, pretty much only eats frozen... And he's a voracious eater...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing the clowns sorted things out and the CuC took care of the rest.

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 4 Clown fish, 2 Darwin Black and White and 2 Orange and White oscellaris. They had paired up 1 orange with 1 black and white each. (Don't know why). For a little over a year.

Then I had 3 clown fish. Then 3-4 months went by and I was down to two. No, corpses outside the tank (I run mesh covers to prevent this) and no corpses that I could find in the display. Though it is 340 gallons so, who knows...

Then last week another 2-3 months later I noticed I was down to one black and white darwin clown fish. He looked normal and was feeding normal. Then, just today a week later, I noticed the last darwin clown is missing.

My Dragon wrasse has been getting very agressive with other fish. Outright attacking my creole anthia (locking jaws at times). However, I've never seen my dragon wrasse eat a fish. I've seen needles sticking out of his mouth.. (Pretty sure he ate birstle worms that were maybe too big for him...)

He could possibly get his mouth around a clown fish if he tried. It opens pretty large. Just wondering if anyone has heard of Dragon Wrasses actually eating other fish? Or if my clown fish died off to some unknown disease. All I've lost are clown fish. Granted they were my smallest fish in the display.

I have a canary blenny, and Royal gramma all similar in size to the clown fish, neither one of them have been eaten yet. I have no corpses at all to tell a story with. . . Either they died in the rocks and the bristle worms devoured them to the point I never saw a corpse or anything. Or a fish got hungry and saw them as a meal?

I had to be gone a couple weekends, so, all I had was the autofeeder feeding flake and pellet food. The Dragon wrasse, pretty much only eats frozen... And he's a voracious eater...
I had 3 sapphire damsels and 1 neon goby dissappear in my tank and its 90 gallons with no real hiding spots that I can't see into. Check my build thread for for reference. They straight up disappeared. No bones either. Chances are for your situation, clowns probably fought each other or dragon wrasse got an expensive appetite and they got devoured by cleanup crew. Chances are, they've been cleaned up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back