Disappearing polyps

bsarnone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought this zoa frag about a week ago. A few days ago I noticed polyps start to go missing. It looks almost as if they were cut off. I have two polyps left yet they were still perfectly open today (until I bothered them). All of my parameters are good and I have another frag of zoas next to this one that are more than doubled in size. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
image.jpg

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a red hermit, blue hermit and an emerald. Wouldn’t it be weird that my other zoas haven’t been touched though?
I don’t know, I had an emerald that only had a taste for green palythoa. Watch the tank after the lights go out and see if it’s your emerald

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did an iodine dip on the coral and inspected it. Later in the day I saw one of the polyps floating in the tank so I’ll have to watch after dark I guess.
Was the polyp ok? Just closed ? Could be bad fragging job

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don’t know if anything that will cut the polyp off like that unless a fish is pecking at it all... but I’ve had countless zoanthid frags pop off the plugs because of a bad fragging job...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Emerald would be my suspect. They will destroy Zoa

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On occasion an emerald can and will eat things but not always... although it would explain the zoas being dislodged from the plug

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the lengthiest mysteries until I took the advice and watched the tank one night at lights out. My emerald would randomly pick off a new addition or fragged zoa occasionally. Never forget when my WWC Blue Eyed Girl Zoa was gone by the next morning after just purchasing from their store. This was not the first zoa to disappear and my thoughts were confirmed. Emeralds will go rogue ! I removed that particular one and replaced it with another emerald nearly 6 months later.The only difference is I ensure this emerald gets a pellet or two once a week. No more issues. It's the Emerald

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back