Disappointed in Instant Ocean

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to give the mixing a little longer but I mixed up instant ocean last night let it mix 12 hours but I didn’t add enough salt (my fault not sure what is was thinking). Checked salinity noticed adjusted as usual to 35ppt and let mix again for a couple hours to dissolve. It’s all clean no grains in the bottoms at all. Checked salinity again right at 35ppt at 77F. Checked parameters

Alk 12.2 not worried really still cycling really
Ca 440
Mg 1500+ I know there are errors in our tests but still seem way high.
I can get aquaforest sea salt or the reef locally I know more expensive. Going to call instant ocean and see what they say.
planning a small mixed reef tank. So thinking I need my parameters as far as Alk and Mg a little lower.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean and mag is always high. I don’t mind it though, I’d much rather high then low. No negative affects yet at around 3 months. I love the salt for the price. I also don’t really do water changes so I can see it being a bigger difference for others that do regular water changes

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean and mag is always high. I don’t mind it though, I’d much rather high then low. No negative affects yet at around 3 months. I love the salt for the price. I also don’t really do water changes so I can see it being a bigger difference for others that do regular water changes
I don’t want to dose and it’s only a 4g AIO. Planning a somewhat mixed reef so was planning on weekly 1 gallon water changes.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to dose and it’s only a 4g AIO. Planning a somewhat mixed reef so was planning on weekly 1 gallon water changes.
At one point my mag was up in the mid 1700s and there was no ill effects. I wouldn’t sweat it too much IMO

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High magnesium will do nothing. We actually used to raise MAG to over 1600 with a certain MAG product that could kill bryopsis.

ALK is always high with IO. A little mineral acid will bring it down. Just search on here on how to lower alkalinity in freshly mixed water. Plenty of posts on how to do it.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I’m going to do let is go through tonight
I think it takes a few days for instant ocean to mix and settle in. Mix it warm with flow for a few days then test. It's a great salt.
and check again tomorrow morning. Might go get some Muriatic acid like Homer1475 said and lower that a little good thing is nothing is in the tank as far as livestock is concerned.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO for me always mixed to about 11 dkh so it’s not too far off and in my instances I was able to mix it in less than an hour l, I mean it’s in the name right?! Haha granted I only ever made about 5 gallons at 1.025

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO for me always mixed to about 11 dkh so it’s not too far off and in my instances I was able to mix it in less than an hour l, I mean it’s in the name right?! Haha granted I only ever made about 5 gallons at 1.025

I learned in the early 2000's that not letting it mix for a couple days, minimum, could cause issues with more sensitive corals. Depends on the percentage of water change. Even the BRS videos say IO isnt fully mixed at 24 hours. Do me a favor and check PH at mixing and then a couple hours later. Curious there.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned in the early 2000's that not letting it mix for a couple days, minimum, could cause issues with more sensitive corals. Depends on the percentage of water change. Even the BRS videos say IO isnt fully mixed at 24 hours. Do me a favor and check PH at mixing and then a couple hours later. Curious there.
I do not mix anymore and just buy salt water from LFS, when I used to mix I would use the 5gal jug and just swish it violently ever 10 mins or so and there would be no particulates so I assumed it was done I’m curious about the PH now to lol I also assumed that swishing it oxygenated the water a good amount

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched that video as well. Going to check parameters tonight will include pH as well. See if anything has changed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't tend to agree that it takes any time to "mix" once it is clear.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been using io reef crystals while waiting for tmp to get back in stock and noticed my mag also went from 1400 to over 1500 at times after only few weeks of doing auto daily water changes. I also use 40ml of muric acid for 2 bags of salt from the 200 gal box with about 90 gallons of water to make 1.026 salinity. So only 180 gallons from a 200 gallon box of io rc. Both my systems the same so I know it’s not testing error.

Attachments

• A25E2782-CE2D-4A63-88B8-2CEA63B8E4DC.png
    A25E2782-CE2D-4A63-88B8-2CEA63B8E4DC.png
    316.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 050E62C0-425E-4ECF-9938-3BCA8B0FD45D.png
    050E62C0-425E-4ECF-9938-3BCA8B0FD45D.png
    321.7 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my standard is over night next morning I’m draining and refilling. Of course no corals or fish so I can say that anything affected. Will keep and eye on the Alk and if need be will bring it down once I get into the Stoney corals. Right now just going with some soft corals.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back