Discouraged

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I avoided the ugly stage was by running my tank for 3-4 months with out lighting and I didn’t touch the sand the entire time I let it do it’s thing. I would leave the live sand alone for the time being and reduce the lighting time, if you can, change the filter socks every 2-3 days I feel like the waste starts to break down around the third or fourth day. Good luck

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I avoided the ugly stage was by running my tank for 3-4 months with out lighting and I didn’t touch the sand the entire time I let it do it’s thing. I would leave the live sand alone for the time being and reduce the lighting time, if you can, change the filter socks every 2-3 days I feel like the waste starts to break down around the third or fourth day. Good luc
Yeah im going to reduce my light period for sure. I've been running my lights for 12 hours with sunrise and sunset setting. But I am going to reduce. What should I reduce it to?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I definitely have a goal. I have a pair of clowns right now. And pretty much building around them. I am adding a firefish, royal gramma, watchman goby/pistol, green clown goby, lawnmower blenny, yellow corris wrasse, and bristletooth tang, and down along the road when the tank is established and has lots of pods, I am planning on adding a mandarin dragonette

Ok so let's start here.

You have a list of desirers.

1: List of desired fish
A: Are these fish compatible?
A-1: Do these fish provide a stable eco-system?
A-2: What are the specific needs of each individual fish? Can I provide this?

B: Will this list provide you a stable system long term?
B-1: Will any of these fish need to be rehomed as they outgrow the tank?

C: do i have the hardware needed to replicate the environment for this list?

Ect ect... break it down and ask yourself as many questions as come to mind. Write them all down so you can research what you are doing in a fashion that actually allows you to make an educated choice.

We are all different, but I find that when I map out my gameplan in this fashion, I actually achieve the results I desire. When it is just a jumble of abstract ideas in my head, I get lost.

Last edited:

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest if you can 4-6 hours tops until you notice there is less film algea on the glass and all the uglies start to die off

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im going to reduce my light period for sure. I've been running my lights for 12 hours with sunrise and sunset setting. But I am going to reduce. What should I reduce it to?
8 hrs or so. Less white light, mostly blue. 90/10 ish for a while.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are on the larger side of the pod population. Good tiny clean up crew. If you add phytoplankton to your tank once a week they will multiply very quickly

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are on the larger side of the pod population. Good tiny clean up crew. If you add phytoplankton to your tank once a week they will multiply very quickly
How much should I add? The bottle of the pods I added was 250-1700 or something like that. It was a small bottle. I added some to the refugium and some to display tank.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 250-1700 is the micron size of your pods. You would have to add the whole bottle of pods.
As for the phytoplankton it varies on the amount of water volume of your system, that way it helps keep you from over dosing phytoplankton so your parameters don’t sky rocket

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is a little over 3 months old. I am really discouraged. Looks ugly. I am doing 10 percent water change, change out the filter sock every 4 or so days, vaccuum my sand and still I have this **** in my tank. Everyone's looks so beautiful and here's mine.
20220515_144009.jpg
I am going to jump in with something that might be considered a little off topic...But that is the beauty of a forum....You titled your post "Discouraged" ...in less than 24 hours (I think) you received 5 pages, some 91 responses of encouragement...good advice...and genuine concern for your discouragement...This speaks volumes to the quality and Character of the people on this forum!!! ...You have embarked on a long journey....The forum will be right with you...so Explore…Learn…Share and above all ----Practice Patience ...Small moves!

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 250-1700 is the micron size of your pods. You would have to add the whole bottle of pods.
As for the phytoplankton it varies on the amount of water volume of your system, that way it helps keep you from over dosing phytoplankton so your parameters don’t sky rocket
What does that mean? Micron? And where could I get a full size bottle or whatever ?

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micron is a size that you would only be able to a better image of something only under a microscope.
Full size bottle of?

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to jump in with something that might be considered a little off topic...But that is the beauty of a forum....You titled your post "Discouraged" ...in less than 24 hours (I think) you received 5 pages, some 91 responses of encouragement...good advice...and genuine concern for your discouragement...This speaks volumes to the quality and Character of the people on this forum!!! ...You have embarked on a long journey....The forum will be right with you...so Explore…Learn…Share and above all ----Practice Patience ...Small moves!
Yeah I am definitely thankful for everyone that responded. It brought positivity back to me lol. I am here to learn for sure!

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micron is a size that you would only be able to a better image of something only under a microscope.
Full size bottle of?
Ohhh that makes sense. I'm saying a bigger bottle of pods. Where would I get one. Like what's the best online store for that?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 60 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.5%
Back