Disease free inverts? Where to purchase?

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m looking to do a invert order. I’m scared to add anything to my tank without quarantining for 90 days.My tanks been running 1 year disease-free. I do have a Chevron Tang that has had disease in the past that had to be quarantined twice two periods of 90 days. He’s been disease-free over a year. I’m needing to add quality snails and hermits as a cleanup crew to replenish what I have. Where can I order? Can I can put the inverts into my display without having to quarantine? I don’t wanna pick up any parasites on the crab or snail shells. Is it safe to order snails from fish less systems and put them straight in the display? I finally have my Reef like I want it and I don’t want to have to go in and tear out the rock work to get a sick fish out. Any info on where to purchase or experience in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Patrick

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try reefcleaners.org ,I have ordered from them put directly in DT with no problems and he has the best prices and he responds to all emails great customer service even after you get them
His cuc packages work very well, just make sure your cleaner shrimp dont eat your florida cerith snails

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish has had disease symptoms twice in this tank, I'm curious, why do you think the parasite is gone from your tank? From your narrative my guess would be that the fish has recovered from disease and built up resistance.

In any case, I've ordered most of my cleanup crews from reefcleaners and never observed a disease outbreak after adding them.

OP
OP
RedReefer

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They were quarantined for the fallow period. 90 days two weeks longer than required. The first disease came from a wrasse that wasn’t quarantined correctly. The second set came from a cleanup crew that was bought locally. The disease was eight months in between. I don’t think tang fish build up a resistance to Brook or Ick. So after the fish were healed up , 7months later, the second disease batch came from a cleanup crew that was bought locally and not quarantined. The Brook came off the shells of the snails and the hermits. I know this 100%. System was fishless for over 100 days the first fallow period. Then 90 days the second period, so I know the disease is gone from the tank. Just looking for a place to buy a cleanup crew. I’m not here to discuss my tank. But if you wanna view it I got a build thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedReefer

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your fish has had disease symptoms twice in this tank, I'm curious, why do you think the parasite is gone from your tank? From your narrative my guess would be that the fish has recovered from disease and built up resistance.

In any case, I've ordered most of my cleanup crews from reefcleaners and never observed a disease outbreak after adding them.
Lol

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We still are fishless! All our fish come directly from BIOTA shipped to your door. No fish ever in our facility :) ~Shaun K
I purchased a Biota YT directly from AlgaeBarn last year, not drop shipped from Biota. It was posted on R2R that AlgaeBarn was keeping mandarins in the "fishless" tanks, maybe with the macroalgae where there are pods.
If you are now maintaining a fishless invert section that is very good news; but only if you do this reliably.

Broose51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if @WWC has fishless invert systems? doesn't say anything on their website so I'd guess not but thought I'd check

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back