Diseased Duncan Coral?

mpachos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

My duncan has developed brown growth on one head. See picture below. I would assume it is some type of coral disease, as I have read online. I am planning to frag the head off before it affects the rest of the coral. Any suggestions, other than fragging and removing the diseased head? Should I be worried about the spread of this growth to other coral in my aquarium? All suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Mike

Duncan Coral.jpg

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is brown jelly disease, get that coral out of your tank asap. BJD can spread like wildfire to other LPS corals, frag the head off, use iodine dips and put it in a hospital tank if you can.

OP
OP
mpachos

mpachos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is brown jelly disease, get that coral out of your tank asap. BJD can spread like wildfire to other LPS corals, frag the head off, use iodine dips and put it in a hospital tank if you can.
Thanks, Shep. I removed it and fragged it. I will dip it, as it you said.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also soak in eurythromycin or neomycin to help. Dip for 3-4 hours. I hope he survives for you. Good luck! Add air stone to water!

Tohni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Denise. I will hit the LFS today.
Did it ever work? Just realized same problem on my Duncan. Getting ready to leave for long weekend. Can I just cut the bad head off?? I don't have a hospital tank. Do I dip the rest of the Duncan after removing the bad head?

Juan Andrés Botero R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have the same things for some weeks, I frag the bad heads, dip in Iodine, Hydrogen Peroxide, etc..... Slowly all my colonies were affected one by one, Until I notice that the it was not a disease!, It was malnutrition!, I feed the water with reef booster from reef roids, the good ones with salmon and fito and zoo planton and they are getting better!. even the more affected stopped!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back