Display Refugium

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am planning out a new setup for my 125 gallon and I want to include a display refugium in a 13.5 fluval tank i have laying around. I need some advise from you guys who have done this in the past. I don't want to use chaeto because of how much it grows (unless there is an option to keep it under control). If chaeto isn't an option what are some other macros that are easily kept in check, will benefit the tank by soaking up nutrients AND wont go sexual and blow up my tank ?

If it seems like this may be more of a hassle i may just scrap the idea but im testing the waters for now.

Thanks in advance

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that gracilaria species as well as codium and calcifying macroalgaes would be a good bet. The difficult part is getting things to eat pest algae but not the display algae.

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that gracilaria species as well as codium and calcifying macroalgaes would be a good bet. The difficult part is getting things to eat pest algae but not the display algae.

Been reading a good like "cleanup" crew would be some blue leg hermits, astrea/trochus snails, conch, dove snails (assuming the population doesnt explode), maybe a blenny some saltwater mollies

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been reading a good like "cleanup" crew would be some blue leg hermits, astrea/trochus snails, conch, dove snails (assuming the population doesnt explode), maybe a blenny some saltwater mollies

The main thing to avoid would be urchins, tangs, and rabbitfish ( strongly depending on the macroalgae)

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a way to contain chaeto from just growing into a square block inside the tank ?

SFALReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a way to contain chaeto from just growing into a square block inside the tank ?
Not really. Some people tumble it to keep it more rounded, but really you just need to thin it. It grows rapidly in a nutrient rich environment and will take up all the space.

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. Some people tumble it to keep it more rounded, but really you just need to thin it. It grows rapidly in a nutrient rich environment and will take up all the space.
maybe i just scrap the display idea of the fuge and just let it do its thing and turn into a spongebob block of chaeto

SFALReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe i just scrap the display idea of the fuge and just let it do its thing and turn into a spongebob block of chaeto
Well, nothing wrong with keeping it neat and clean. You have to cut out the chaeto over time anyway. That's the point of having it. Keep the glass clean and the bottom free from detritus. Always interesting things living in the fuge. If you want something more organized, you can go with a caulerpa. I will never put that stuff in my tank again though.

Mortgaged Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple great Facebook groups and several members have remarkable macro tanks. There you will find side great inspiration. I like both Planted Reef - saltwater aquarium macroalgae discussion and also Macroalgae in the reef tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%

Back