DISPLAY TANK AND MACRO ALGAE TANK PLUMBED TOGETHER IN SEPARATE ROOMS

Arom81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping for some thoughts on this idea...

I have upgraded to a new CADE 2100 tank and I'm beginning the process of setting it up.
I would like to have a second macro/nps tank in a seperate room to act as a remote refugium for the new tank.
The difficulty in this is that two pumps will never pump the same volume. I was wondering if the diagram i have drawn would make it possible?
Basically the suction line on the pumps in each tank would only be submerged, say an inch or 2 below the surface. So that when one pumps more and drops the level it is limited to that volume of water until the other pump catches up. Its all being connected to apex so i will have LDK and optical sensors also. both circulating pumps would fallback to being off for any operations that change water level in the main display sump etc...
The only thing i can think of is possibility a siphon being created when the pumps are turned off as the pipework will run up a wall and through ceiling for both tanks.

I'd appreciate any input y'all might have on this project.

Cheers
TANKS.jpg

OP
OP
A

Arom81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not position the macro algae tank higher than the sump, drain into the sump with a gate valve and pump from the sump into the macro algae tank?
The individual tanks will be in separate rooms. The tubing for water circulating between the two tanks will be in the ceiling and back down to each tank.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not trust this long term. Way too many failure points.

If you can find a way to run it under the hallway rather than over it, you could pump from the sump to the remote refugium and have gravity return it.

OP
OP
A

Arom81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've opted against it for now. Thanks for the input guys. Focusing on the main tank build, not rushing or reinventing the wheel and doing it right. ✌

neevitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 125 tank on first floor than dropped into 125 on basement floor. I pumped directly from the basement up. I had a second pump on the basement tank and it pumped to the 55 gallon on the shelf. That tank was just rock alsge and pods and it filtered back into the basement 125. It was kept at a water level so when power cut off and all the water drained into the 125 in basement it was able to not overflow. It worked well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back