Display Tank Circulation Advice

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Mixed Reef DT with total of 125 gallons (includes sump) and a wall of live rock top to bottom (About 200+ lbs of live rock). 1/2" live sand in front of rock work only. The system has been up and running 20 years. The tank is 6' across and 22" deep.

Current tank parameters, all stable for a long time
NO3: 1 ppm
PO4: .08 ppm
Calcium: 450 ppm
Magnesium: 1410 ppm (has always run high...most likely test kit)
Alkalinity: 8.5 dKH
Salinity 1.026
Temp 78.6
PH: 8.08 to 8.12 depending on time of day
ORP: 345-365 depending on the time of the day

I run between 8 - 10x's flow from sump to DT with dual returns. Behind the rock work I have two medium sized Hydors which keeps detritus completely out of the back and pushes everything to the front. I have primarily kept soft corals in the past, but after upgrading my lighting and husbandry skills I have added more LPS and SPS. I want to start reducing soft corals and replacing with more LPS and SPS. I have a nice leaf plate Monti that is growing great and very colorful, but I get debris collecting on him and I have some spots where detritus is collecting on the rock due to lower flow levels. Current flow causes a gentle swinging of the Colt Coral side to side and all the polyps on the corals and anemone are in constant motion, but it is a soft motion.

My question is, what is the best way to add enough flow for the SPS corals without blowing the softies apart (i.e., colt coral). I was thinking a pair of Maxspect XF230's with controller might be the best option (or maybe XF250's turned down low), with the idea of placing one on each end facing the other, but they seem to put out a ton of flow and reviews are mixed due to noise and loss of flow over time. Not sure if this is the right kind of flow for what I need. Anyone using this approach with success?

What do you all suggest to meet these goals:
  • Enough flow to keep SPS healthy.
  • Enough flow to eliminate detritus collection and move it to the top corner overflows.
  • Not so much flow as to blow my Colt Coral and long tentacle anemone/clowns all over the tank

Last edited:

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture of the tank would help, but based on your description, I’d start by removing about half your rock.

OP
OP
Reef Jeff

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I’d start by removing about half your rock.

Yeah...I know the amount of live rock is a major contributor to detritus collection, but I really like the rock wall look, and given the stability I have had, I don't want to mess with that. I'm sure the amount of live rock is what has created the water parameter stability I enjoy. Surprisingly, I haven't really had any significant algae issues since the tank matured in 1998. Admittedly, I have to do more detritus siphoning during water changes, but I'm okay with that. What I can't have is detritus collecting on hard corals and staying there. That won't end well.

As I add more SPS I will have to reduce rock a bit at a time, which I will do as needed. For now, I don't want to reduce the amount of rock, but I appreciate the feedback. You are right that it would make increasing the flow easier. I am looking to add flow to what I have, in front of the rock work. I guess I could move the softies to one side of the tank and place the LPS and SPS on the other side and customize more flow on that side?

Really just looking for feedback on devices to use for best additional flow and flow control, and best placement for keeping detritus suspended so it can go into the overflow for mechanical removal. I like the looks of the Maxspec XF230's but I have no experience with them and am not sure if they would work for what I am trying to do. I get the impression they are more for shallow lagoon style tanks?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...I know the amount of live rock is a major contributor to detritus collection, but I really like the rock wall look, and given the stability I have had, I don't want to mess with that. I'm sure the amount of live rock is what has created the water parameter stability I enjoy. Surprisingly, I haven't really had any significant algae issues since the tank matured in 1998. Admittedly, I have to do more detritus siphoning during water changes, but I'm okay with that. What I can't have is detritus collecting on hard corals and staying there. That won't end well.

As I add more SPS I will have to reduce rock a bit at a time, which I will do as needed. For now, I don't want to reduce the amount of rock, but I appreciate the feedback. You are right that it would make increasing the flow easier. I am looking to add flow to what I have, in front of the rock work. I guess I could move the softies to one side of the tank and place the LPS and SPS on the other side and customize more flow on that side?

Really just looking for feedback on devices to use for best additional flow and flow control, and best placement for keeping detritus suspended so it can go into the overflow for mechanical removal. I like the looks of the Maxspec XF230's but I have no experience with them and am not sure if they would work for what I am trying to do. I get the impression they are more for shallow lagoon style tanks?
I run a pair of XF250's on my 60"x30"x24" tank and absolutely love them. But.. I don't think they would be great for you.

I would consider getting pumps something along the lines of these.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-xstream-e-variable-dc-wave-pump-powerhead-800-2250-gph.html

That way you can put them on the side walls of your tank, crank the flow up but direct it on the front glass so that it broadens and reflects back onto your wall.

OP
OP
Reef Jeff

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at work now and don't have a current picture, but I just found this one from my old Photobucket account from about 12 years ago. This shows the rock work. This was back in the days of bioballs and 6500k Metal Halide...lol.

I traded softies for LPS and SPS with friends so the tank looks a lot different now, but the rock work is set up the same. The angels and butterfly are all in another tank (those that lived that long) so they are not a concern. I also moved the return lines more center with one angled to the left front pane and the other to the right front pane. That helped, but with only 8-10x flow it is still not enough to keep detritus suspended and pushed to the top.
SaltwaterAquarium.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Jeff

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a pair of XF250's on my 60"x30"x24" tank and absolutely love them. But.. I don't think they would be great for you.

I would consider getting pumps something along the lines of these.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-xstream-e-variable-dc-wave-pump-powerhead-800-2250-gph.html

That way you can put them on the side walls of your tank, crank the flow up but direct it on the front glass so that it broadens and reflects back onto your wall.

I was looking at a few of those types of pumps, but hadn't seen these. I like the idea of having the controller with different flow patterns. I guess I could do like you suggested and direct to the front glass, let it collide with the flow coming from the sump returns to create some turbulence. I could put the LPS and SPS that like high water flow on one side and keep the lower flow on the other side for softies and LPS that prefer moderate flow. Thanks...

Keep the ideas coming. Anyone else have a similar rock setup with a flow that meets the need?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back