Display tank is leaking! I have questions.

99gtbaby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered that my 55 gallon display tank is slowly leaking from a bottom corner of the tank, I’m not losing a lot of water, about an inch a week (I know this might sound like evap but it’s not, there is water visibly seeping from the corner of my tank and the floor is wet under that corner) so I need to get a new tank today before it becomes a big problem. I am going to be buying a 125g tank for the new tank.
Here are my questions:
  • What is the most efficient way that I should go about doing this?
  • Should I use all new water?
  • Should I use part of my existing water?
  • Will adding another 40lbs of bagged live sand to the 55lbs of my current sand cause issues?

I know I will be able to transfer my current live rock over to the new tank. It’s a shame this happened because my tank just finished cycling about a week ago and my water is really nice and clear now .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I discovered that my 55 gallon display tank is slowly leaking from a bottom corner of the tank, I’m not losing a lot of water, about an inch a week (I know this might sound like evap but it’s not, there is water visibly seeping from the corner of my tank and the floor is wet under that corner) so I need to get a new tank today before it becomes a big problem. I am going to be buying a 125g tank for the new tank.
Here are my questions:
  • Will adding another 40lbs of bagged live sand to the 55lbs of my current sand cause issues?

I know I will be able to transfer my current live rock over to the new tank. It’s a shame this happened because my tank just finished cycling about a week ago and my water is really nice and clear now .
Reduce water down to 1/4 full and leave fish in tank
Using a couple strong people. Raise left side of tank and stand and place 1 1/4”” pvc under stand. Do the same on other end and you can roll tank on pvc and place new tank in place
Transfer water removed to the new one along with live sand and add liquid bacteria daily for 2 weeks. Once filters running and tank settles, add your fish, etc and increase oxygen for a few days

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here are my questions:

Also repair is quite easy. If you can get aquarium sealant such as aqueon aquarium sealant, I can guide you through it.
Although, Nothing wrong with moving toa 125g

OP
OP
99gtbaby

99gtbaby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also repair is quite easy. If you can get aquarium sealant such as aqueon aquarium sealant, I can guide you through it.
Although, Nothing wrong with moving toa 125g
My husband and I resealed a 150g years back, so we’ll eventually reseal the 55 and probably turn it into a sump for the 125, or do something completely different with it. I appreciate the offer tho

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back