Display tank volume vs total volume

Mrs. Limpet

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 15, 2019
Messages
8
Reaction score
10
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at getting a 190 gallon display tank with a 40 gallon sump. I would like to get a tang. I’ve read some tangs need a tank that is 220 gallons, (although I’m looking at smaller tangs) is this display volume that needs to be 220 or overall volume that includes that sump volume?
 
(Generally) when you see tank size recommendations the size is referencing ONLY the display. And realistically it’s more about swimming space than volume, but saying “220 gallons” is easier than saying “6 foot by 2 foot tank”. . .
 
Last edited:
I’m looking at getting a 190 gallon display tank with a 40 gallon sump. I would like to get a tang. I’ve read some tangs need a tank that is 220 gallons, (although I’m looking at smaller tangs) is this display volume that needs to be 220 or overall volume that includes that sump volume?
The only reason for the 220 recommendations are for swimming room.
 
(Generally) when you see tank size recommendations the size is referencing ONLY the display. And realistically it’s more about swimming space than volume, but saying “220 gallons” is easier than saying “6 foot by 2 foot tank”. . .
Thank you for this. I always wondered….
 
Let's see if the tang
Cartoon Police GIF


Show up! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new