• Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the animal, size, and intent.
Using animals as food, especially invertebrates, is generally ok, as long as it’s a smaller “less advanced” animal that likely feels no pain and is low on the food chain. I would try to avoid it if possible. I certainly wouldn’t breed or torture animals/starfish to provide food. But copepods etc...it’s just nature.

throwing away or killing an animal (including coral) occasionally, if needed, is ok...ONLY if it’s rarely done, with good cause/relieve suffering and there is no other option. I personally have never done it, except for suffering animals or corals that are basically near dead.

what is NOT acceptable is having an animal (any animal) die because you can’t take care of it, you are too lazy, won’t try to rehome it, are bored, “need the space” etc.

My local LFS will take fish for free if it’s a once in a while thing. Any sick fish get treated at my home to the best of my ability. I try to do tons of research and only buy the basics/peaceful fish to avoid issues. No complex social issues/fighting in my tanks!

Corals to me are alive at the level of a plant or tree. They may feels something similiar to discomfort but no true pain. Regardless, the injury/death of a colony is like seeing an old tree harmed..it’s just wrong. And while fish/inverts aren’t cats and dogs, they still are animals and should be treated with the same respect as any living thing. However, sometimes we have to recognize that keeping an animal alive/in a certain tank is worse than death and just needless suffering. And most animals aren’t meant to be pets in the first place.

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I toss coral clippings and less desirable frags all the time. Honestly, I am pretty lazy and unless there is something of really good value that I can trade I am not going to bother with it. Increasing the difficulty in this hobby will just cause those to neglect maintenance and reduce success rates.

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you think you're a perfectly ethical person then it's never okay. You can't use convenience to justify killing something whether its aiptasia or even amphipods. I know I'm not perfectly ethical and don't consider myself a good person. I do think I'm decent though, and I'll try to not kill things as far as I can. Just bugs me when people do mental gymnastics to hold onto the belief that they're good.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting topic. I would just suggest that as with anything, people's opinions/mindsets differ. What one person considers acceptable, another may not. Just play nice. I've trimmed my GSP multiple times and will continue to do so. I really love it, but it needs to be kept in check. I've also been guilty of not trimming corals because it's not practical to travel the 2 hours to the LFS to rehome. By doing so, I've allowed coral warfare, which is no better than trimming and disposing in my opinion.
What about aiptasia? No one wants aiptasia that I know of, so to not violate the TOS we are no longer to kill it or risk being banned?
Cmon man
Not sure what this means. There are plenty of posts about using berghia nudibranchs and other methods to control aptasia. As well as ways to remove corals that have become invasive. Just confused about the banned part. :p
By the way, I voted yes. Everyone sees things differently. Just trying to steer away from any "My way or the highway" conflicts. :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me guilty as charged. I've given away over 200 frags in the last 3 months but still have a collection of coral skeletons in a strainer out back that I am going to recycle in my calcium reactor.
Sometimes, there isn't a good answer so we have to chose the least problematic way of doing something. Not trimming some of my corals would only lead to coral warfare and shading issues that would kill the coral anyway. Is it worse to trim a coral before it grows out of the water or to let it grow out, die, and then trim it?

I'm a softy when it comes to animals. I still feel bad when I change my filter socks and see the amphipods get rinsed out onto the back patio. Or when I harvest chaeto and see what comes out of it.
I see harvesting chaeto to be like cutting the grass. It needs to be done and since it is basically a plant I don't have any issue with it. Coral on the other hand? Much touchier subject since it blurs the line between plant and animal.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TOS? I throw away coral, algae, and even live rock. Are we literally discussing if it's humane? If so, that's a little far fetched I'm afraid for my brain. I just tore down my 90g with 100+ lbs of live rock because of fierce green turf algae. I kept what corals I could bust off, but the rest went into a tub that got filled with muratic acid to create dead real reef rock for another reefer.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back