Disturbed Sand Bed During Cycling

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my first tank has been cycling for almost 3 weeks now and is almost over. I just decided to move around all the sand on the right side of my tank because the bottom layer of the sand bed looked dirty. A bunch of air was released and now my tank is all cloudy and after reading similar posts, I realize I should not have done that. My question is could I just have negatively affected or stall my cycle?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you'll be OK, the danger comes with astablished tanks with old ditritus filled sandbeds, yours is squeeky clean. The air is most likely trapped air bubbles from when the sand went in. Apart from cloudy water from sand dust you won't suffer any consequences.

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you'll be OK, the danger comes with astablished tanks with old ditritus filled sandbeds, yours is squeeky clean. The air is most likely trapped air bubbles from when the sand went in. Apart from cloudy water from sand dust you won't suffer any consequences.
Thank you so much! I was literally beating myself up for the mistake, now I know lol.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank gets cloudy when you disturb the sand, you might want to consider removing the sand right now and thoroughly rinsing it until the water runs clean. Then return the sand to the tank. You will save yourself issues later.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a fact. its better to pre rinse; this is no harm to bacteria it removes the silt. imagine a powerhead falls down one day, or a rock shift, days of clouding isn't fun. neither is a pre rinse; but its smart future access planning. even a big emergency water change over an unrinsed bed really clouds up for days, for some folks. I have about ten links handy for those events lol/hard work now, or later + corals all filled up/ choice.

also noted
the fact you had new growths on the sandbed means you are cycled :)

I know api may not agree yet, but you are, and thats fun to consider. (three weeks in + 3 day bottle bac used + benthic growth = cycled for sure 100% fact)

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a fact. its better to pre rinse; this is no harm to bacteria it removes the silt. imagine a powerhead falls down one day, or a rock shift, days of clouding isn't fun. neither is a pre rinse; but its smart future access planning. even a big emergency water change over an unrinsed bed really clouds up for days, for some folks. I have about ten links handy for those events lol/hard work now, or later + corals all filled up/ choice.

also noted
the fact you had new growths on the sandbed means you are cycled :)

I know api may not agree yet, but you are, and thats fun to consider. (three weeks in + 3 day bottle bac used + benthic growth = cycled for sure 100% fact)
Thanks so much! Yeah my next tank I’ll definitely remember to pre rinse. Only didn’t because people said since it’s Caribsea live sand and rinsing might kill the bacteria. Yup I know I’m cycled but most people say just to make sure with the ammonia test, adding 2ppm and it being gone the next day. Red Sea says to add ammonia after nitrite is under .2, but my test today was like .3 or .4 so I’ll just wait till tomorrow to add ammonia.

Back