Diving into dosing h2o2 w/ A Ozone Generator OTW!

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everybody,

I’ve read before that oxygenation plays a role in coral growth. It seemed to have a positive impact at normal levels but reacted negatively at higher concentrations. I always assumed this to be the case with long term dosing. It most likely over-saturates the water and chokes out micro algae but over time can affect the zooxanthellae as well.

I’d like to know:

Would dosing over the counter 3% hydrogen peroxide help to achieve a better balance (assuming it is not 100%) in water oxidation?

What devices/techniques can be used to measure the saturation? I know there’s ORP probes but I am not sure how that equates to saturation.

Could the same results be achieved with water flow and/or a bubble skimmer?

For those who keep macro algae/algae scrubbers how can you tell the oxygen produced by the plants is/isn’t producing excess oxygen? You hear all the time that these are supper effective at pulling out nutrients but do they expel too much oxygen in their anaerobic process?

Just some shower thoughts.
Let me know what you think!
Hey guys, i just did this earlier today. i looked into getting an ozone machine for quite some time. thus said i got curious and ended up hearing about hydrogen peroxide. now its been some time thinking about this and just a hour or so ago i used SWAN HYDROGEN PEROXIDE = stablized 3%

1ml syringe
dosed directly into the power head pretty slowly, id say it took me about 1min to fully plunge down.
waited 5 min then dosed another 1ml with the same timing.

after 56min my apex a3 pro orp probe (roughly 4 months old) read 294. right before dosing it read 263. orp probe is set to take in data at 1min intervals.

i became very curious of this today in the morning because i just changed 10% water yesterday around 7pm and typically my orp varied between high 290's to 335.

currently have
eshopps s200 skimmer w/ co2 scrub
and eshopps 75 gal rated HOB skimmer (getting ready for ozone, highly recommend using seperate skimmer according to BRS)
gfo then carbon reactor
return pump set to about 1600gph (3200 max)

just now dosed 1ml x2 and waiting another hr for the results then going to wait quite some time as i dont want to overdose

im pretty confident im very close to 163 gallons of total system water. when i set this tank up i did measure every bit of water i put into and over the time its been up (16 months).

150gal display
75 gal sump

i am trying my best to keep a good eye on maybe any smell and color change occur.
my current goal is to really use this affectively to break down all the crude in my sand bed and potentially really increase the management ability/level of fish ailments.
from what i read and watch on youtube and some forums there could possibly be so much more benefits. if only i had more money and more equipment to really take this seriously, not that im not taking this seriously atm, i just know my anylisis could be magnified to a much larger scope of detail.
i suppose thats what we have BRS for?! lol XD

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORP will usually show H2O2 as lowering ORP, which seems unexpected. So don't think that ORP is telling you how much H2O2 you can dose.
Ozone will move ORP in the expected (+) direction.

OP
OP
The 262 Reef
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORP will usually show H2O2 as lowering ORP, which seems unexpected. So don't think that ORP is telling you how much H2O2 you can dose.
Ozone will move ORP in the expected (+) direction.
that is really interesting. i feel im missing information or maybe not understanding something.
What ozone system did you decide to go with? I love my Poseidon.

OP
OP
The 262 Reef
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ozone system did you decide to go with? I love my Poseidon.
I decided to go with something on the smaller scale so it seems.. I went with a Ozotech Poseidon 200. Im unsure how I feel about it. it seems to be doing its job thats for certain. however i do feel rather uncomfortable knowing what o3 is and what it can do however i feel im lacking the knowledge and understandment of the dangers even bein in contact with just the smallest amount, unless i feel maybe as if im being fear mongered in lack of better words i suppose. Ever since i bought a month subscription to chat GPT ive been going pretty nutts with trying to teach myself as much as humanly possible utilizing the power of ai so im currently asking it alot of questions as well as keeping in mind that not every answer could be accurate. what do you do for gas escape? throw a bag of activated carbon over the top?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, i just did this earlier today. i looked into getting an ozone machine for quite some time. thus said i got curious and ended up hearing about hydrogen peroxide. now its been some time thinking about this and just a hour or so ago i used SWAN HYDROGEN PEROXIDE = stablized 3%

1ml syringe
dosed directly into the power head pretty slowly, id say it took me about 1min to fully plunge down.
waited 5 min then dosed another 1ml with the same timing.

after 56min my apex a3 pro orp probe (roughly 4 months old) read 294. right before dosing it read 263. orp probe is set to take in data at 1min intervals.

i became very curious of this today in the morning because i just changed 10% water yesterday around 7pm and typically my orp varied between high 290's to 335.

currently have
eshopps s200 skimmer w/ co2 scrub
and eshopps 75 gal rated HOB skimmer (getting ready for ozone, highly recommend using seperate skimmer according to BRS)
gfo then carbon reactor
return pump set to about 1600gph (3200 max)

just now dosed 1ml x2 and waiting another hr for the results then going to wait quite some time as i dont want to overdose

im pretty confident im very close to 163 gallons of total system water. when i set this tank up i did measure every bit of water i put into and over the time its been up (16 months).

150gal display
75 gal sump

i am trying my best to keep a good eye on maybe any smell and color change occur.
my current goal is to really use this affectively to break down all the crude in my sand bed and potentially really increase the management ability/level of fish ailments.
from what i read and watch on youtube and some forums there could possibly be so much more benefits. if only i had more money and more equipment to really take this seriously, not that im not taking this seriously atm, i just know my anylisis could be magnified to a much larger scope of detail.
i suppose thats what we have BRS for?! lol XD

I'm not clear what problem you are trying to solve.

OP
OP
The 262 Reef
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not clear what problem you are trying to solve.
I apologize if i made you feel as if i had a problem, it was more on the side of experimentation. not knowing anyhting and just winging it which is probably absolutely terrible thing to do. not knowing anything about it, however i familiarized myself with some of the aspects of what i am curious about pertaining to using oxidants to develop a healthier or cleaner system.

I have been running a Ozotech Poseidon 200 ozone generator for about 3 days now.
it turns on at midnight and runs to 12:15 at level 2 on the Poseidon, controlled with a apex and its energy bar and an orp probe.
i currently have it set for if the orp value where to ever reach 350 or greater it will kill power to the outlet and won't let it run until it below this threshold. from what i know seems like 350 tends to be normal or even on a slight lower side of the orp value i see others run their systems at.

i suppose i do have some questions though..

i have been frequently seeing people worry about what's safe and not wanting to kill off the inhabitants of their reef or possibly sterilizing their system, i too do have the same concerns and questions as to figuring out how much is too much and so on and so forth. i actually have been developing some sort of prototype modification for the skimmer that i am using in conjunction with the ozone generator. i almost feel as if everyone overthinks a lot but i also dont understand quite a few things. Im more worried about my own health rather than the reef tank ive stuck thousands into. am i overthinking about my safety and possible have been fear mongered into thinking its really dangerous saying this in lack of better words i suppose.

from what i read, hear, ozone is/can be dangerous to us if we come in contact with it. i mean it does break down organic matter. right?

ive been working with CAD software to implement possibly a new idea about capturing the ozone gas that hasnt been disolved in the water column and escaping out the top of the collection cup. but i have alot of questions before i feel as if my idea is even ideally.. useful. essentially my goal was to create a replacement for the skimmers collection cup lid and replace it with the object i made. to be ideal i would have to have a pretty decent seal made of polymer that doesnt break down as quickly as some polymers do. tpu polymers and a few others are much more resistant. now the model i have worked on for only a brief amount of time still has some honing to do but i actually already 3d printed this object in PLA which really isnt an ideal polymer but it surely wont break down enough to be compromised at least within the next 2 months or so depending on the ozone load thats introduced to it. but is surely isnt sealed either and plan on printing some sort of gasket/o-ring out of some TPU i have. i do also want to add to this secondary collection cup so to speak to utilize the existing lid. currently it doesnt, it just rests on top i suppose. but i also wanted to make a new lid that would allow you to run a tube that refeeds into the tube connected to the venturi. so a t or y split to recycle.

i also wonder if there is more o3 gas then we think, escaping out of the water column but then again how detrimental is it building up in our homes? i guess i feel as if its better to be safe than sorry?

here is a site stating some information about ozone vs certain types of polymers

**** https://www.oxidationtech.com/blog/materials-ozone-resistance-chart/ ****

i see that people just throw a sack of activated carbon on top of their collection cup lid, is this good enough? maybe for people with much smaller tanks? not needing as much o3 to do what we are trying to achieve?

im pretty confident i am fairly close to 163 gallons of total system water volume.
ive noticed that just in a few days my orp value has gone from low 290's to 340's with very slight variation up and down. i have not hit the 350 mark yet, or i should say the apex reading from the orp probe has not seen 350. the probe is about 5 months old and not sure if its reading is off or not, stating on the simple fact i hear people talking about how you should replace them every year.

im curious to hear what people are thinking or would say to all this as i am pretty new to Ozone.
thoughts? opinions? anything?

i also want to state that im very open to discussion and debate as i dont feel strongly confident in this subject.

cup 2.jpg cup.jpg

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run a Ozotech Poseidon 200 (6 months and on). What I went with for any stray O3 was the Stink Sink for my skimmer. It's much more than a bag of carbon, as it's made of ozone-safe polymers and has a rubber gasket/seal.

I've hit over 400 ORP but my tank typically averages 350.

OP
OP
The 262 Reef
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run a Ozotech Poseidon 200 (6 months and on). What I went with for any stray O3 was the Stink Sink for my skimmer. It's much more than a bag of carbon, as it's made of ozone-safe polymers and has a rubber gasket/seal.

I've hit over 400 ORP but my tank typically averages 350.
I laughed when i read stink sink lol idk i feel dumb what is this again? Hahahaha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is really interesting. i feel im missing information or maybe not understanding something.
It's a head-scratcher. The short version is H2O2 does things other than just oxidize, and tanks / ORP probes have stuff that would otherwise be oxidized, but can be reduced by H2O2.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ion-when-adding-h2o2-into-a-saltwater.848998/
Here's a thread of people trying to work out the mechanism. complicated. fun puzzle.
The important thing is that it's repeatable, and H2O2 doesn't typically raise ORP, so don't use ORP to tell you if you have too much peroxide.

OP
OP
The 262 Reef
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a head-scratcher. The short version is H2O2 does things other than just oxidize, and tanks / ORP probes have stuff that would otherwise be oxidized, but can be reduced by H2O2.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ion-when-adding-h2o2-into-a-saltwater.848998/
Here's a thread of people trying to work out the mechanism. complicated. fun puzzle.
The important thing is that it's repeatable, and H2O2 doesn't typically raise ORP, so don't use ORP to tell you if you have too much peroxide.
thank you for showing me this, this is very interesting and i have realized that there is a lot i need to learn.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back