DIY 125 Gallon Fish Aquarium Stand

scottn81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***DISCLAIMER*** - I am not a master craftsman, just a guy that decided to build a fish tank stand because I want to upgrade from a 55 gallon tank to a 125 gallon tank. So with that being said, here is how I built my new tank stand.

The stand will be for my 125 gallon (72''/20''/19'') and utilizing a 55 gallon for my sump/fuge.

I did a lot of research and created this basic design.

back:
design1.png

I used a mixture of 2x4 and 2x6 to give it extra strength. I know the 2x6 is overkill, but I decided to use it anyway.

The 2x6 are used for the top of the stand and are also used as support to withhold the weight of the tank.

front:
design2.png

I wanted to be able to place the 55 gallon inside and also work inside it. So I designed it to have full access in the front.

I went to a lumber store and bought all of the lumber that I would need:
wood.jpg

Here is the base once I got started:
2.jpg

I added in the 2x6's as support and braced it with some 2x4's:
3.jpg

I added on the top piece of the stand:
4.jpg

Being able to use pocket holes is a must! It definitely helped me out.
1.jpg

Here is the finished product:
7.jpg

I would not say its perfect, but I am pretty confident that it will hold up. I used 2 1/2 deck screws for all the screw work. I will use plywood and wrap it up so it looks good. But thats for another weekend. I hope that this helps someone out there.

tcunha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it! I am actually going to build my own. I purchased a used stand last weekend and it is way too narrow for a sump... I have a 125G (72x18x20) the stand inside is only 12 1/2 inches wide as whoever built it put the 2x4 on the inside utilizing all the extra space..
Interested how the finished product came out?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff! That doubled front beam - are the two 2x6s joined together somehow? Glue & nails/screws is common. Nails have better sheer strength than typical screws but in this application it probably doesn't matter much.
I used construction adhesive and a row of 3 screws every 6" if I remember right.

Domsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you need to do pocket holes? Why not drill from the outside?

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great design. I'm designing mine today on CAD. I am using 55g for sump and a 33g long for fug. Going to be tight.

DannyD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will only split in the ends if you don’t pre drill your holes. Good rule of thumb for pre drilling is to pick a bit slightly smaller than the shaft of the screw, this will eliminate splitting.

DannyD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the only thing holding your cross braces screws?

DannyD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great design. I'm designing mine today on CAD. I am using 55g for sump and a 33g long for fug. Going to be tight.

I designed the one I just built in Revit. Cad just was to basic for what I needed. Built a stand for a 180 gallon open top. It’s 4x4x18”

2015GaTor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use a jig for the pocket holes, if so what brand and how much was it?

DannyD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying AutoCad is too basic?

Autocad has its uses. I have used it for building baby gates but when I am building something like a stand with cabinets attached, it was very useful to have revit. I haven’t sat down to use cad 3D at all yet though.

DannyD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else would you need? I feel like glue isn’t going to help much if you already put 2 screws on each side

I guess I probably over built my stand. There isn’t one spot on my stand that is putting any weight on screws. All the weight on our stand is being transferred to the 6x6 posts at the corners.

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Autocad has its uses. I have used it for building baby gates but when I am building something like a stand with cabinets attached, it was very useful to have revit. I haven’t sat down to use cad 3D at all yet though.
Interesting, I've been an Architect for the past 3 decades and I've never heard AutoCad referred to as basic. Especially the newer version but I must say never used Revit. You have obviously used both. I was just curious. Sorry to raid the OP thread for this comment it just caught my attention.

DannyD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I've been an Architect for the past 3 decades and I've never heard AutoCad referred to as basic. Especially the newer version but I must say never used Revit. You have obviously used both. I was just curious. Sorry to raid the OP thread for this comment it just caught my attention.

Ask away. Cad is very in depth but having used both for designing and floor plans, revit is so much easier.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back